or Connect

Posts by philgar

yeah, I'm sure apple's RTL and layout engineers have made multiple separate versions of their A7 to support multiple foundrys.  I mean, having multiple sources is worth paying tens of millions in engineering efforts not to mention the countless millions on creating new masks (likely multiple), mastering a new process technology etc....  It's possible Apple would do this to help the transition to TSMC in the future, but I doubt they'd add this much overhead with no end game...
 Uh, So much half truths here.  Samsung has (till now) designed SoCs, and as far as I know hasn't created their own CPU cores (although it's possible that they've modified reference ARM designs).   As far as the Qualcomm chips go, you make it seem like apple's A7 chip supports LTE.  This is clearly not true.  From the ifixit tear down of the 5S: Turning our attention to the backside of the logic board:    Apple A7 APL0698 SoC (based on thisMacRumors post, the markings...
 Wow, this post makes you look like you know NOTHING about investing.  For the first question, the relative stock price between two companies is completely irrelevant.  That's comparing apple's an oranges.  What matters is market capitalization (stock price * Number of outstanding shares).  Using this metric Apple is the largest publicly traded American company.  But I guess that's not big enough for you, and they should be worth even more?  In reality, Apple is valued...
First, when it comes to encryption, the boost from 64bit is somewhat significant, but if you want to accelerate aes you add new instructions (like intel has with their cpus), or add a coprocessor onto the SoC. the performance will blow away what the CPU can do, and more importantly, it will burn far less power.As for the NSA, apple is in bed with them already, and that isnt likely to change. Honestly, i think apple would be more likely to add backdoors in ios than the...
 So many posters here are just completely naive about how the design of hardware goes.  If Samsung plans on including a 64-bit chip in it, they can't just start now and design the system.  It takes YEARS to design a new processor.  If Apple's releasing the A7 this year, they have probably already started designing the A10 that will come out 3 years from now.  This stuff doesn't happen overnight.  If samsung is capable of building a new chip from scratch in 6 months that...
  Of course, if the patent system worked like you wanted it to internationally, Apple would never have been able to get off the ground.  I think Xerox would have stopped their initial work, then MS would have stopped them in the 90s with more patents, and then apple wouldn't be able to make a smart phone at all, because the patent minefield owned by the likes of nokia, samsung, motorolla, qualcomm, etc would have stopped them in their tracks.  The system needs a balance...
Except, forcing the user to enter a "master password" simply gives the user the illusion of security, and really doesn't provide any extra security.  Unless the master password is entered EVERY time the user starts up the web browser, the passwords have to either be stored in plain text, or be encrypted, but the decryption key must be stored in plain text.  There IS NO SECURITY for most password managers.  It simply does not exist.  Anyone who knows ANYTHING about...
Except, that would likely hurt apple's bottom line.  How much money does apple make from restricting people from buying books through amazon?  I'm sure it's quite a bit, but compared to the money apple makes selling ipads and iphones, it's nothing.   Now consider a consumer's perspective.  Many consumers have invested quite a bit into buying amazon ebooks in the past.  Many of these same consumers are also apple customers.  If apple blocks amazon's apps, do you think...
  I find it amusing how many of you assume that digital text books are going to be regularly updated.  Why would the publisher want to do that?  If anything, they want to purposely NOT update existing copies, because they want to make everyone buy the new copy.  In fact, the publishers are going to do everything in their power to tie their ebooks to a single device.  That way when a school replaces an ipad, they will have to replace their ebooks as well.  The only way...
First, we need to address the issues facing our education system's miserable results, but giving them more distractions is unlikely to be the answer.  As technology has matured, scores in schools have gone down... Doesn't seem like the lack of technology access is responsible for this.   As for carmen sandiego.. .I'll admit I learned some from it, I won't pretend I didn't, HOWEVER the fact is I would have learned FAR more had I spent the same amount of time in a...