or Connect

Posts by philgar

What you say makes a lot of sense, but it has one fatal flaw.  No publisher could give Apple the most favored nation clause without first changing their agreement with Amazon.  While you can argue otherwise, there is no way to guarantee that competing stores don't undercut apple's prices while the competitors were buying books on the wholesale model.  Amazon had no interest in switching from the wholesale model to the agency model, and if any single book publisher...
I'm trying to figure out which part of my logic didn't make sense (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/07/10/a-judge-says-apple-fixed-e-book-prices-this-chart-shows-how-they-did-it/ for information on this).     Before apple was in the business, books were sold on a wholesale model.  Amazon paid $X for a book, and could sell the books for whatever price they want.  This meant that Amazon could choose to sell a book below cost to gain interest in their...
no, under the new pricing models, apple made it a rule that if anyone else sold their books cheaper, apple would be allowed to buy their books for the discounted price minus 30 percent.  This means that the publishers would also have to change their dealings with amazon to force them under a similar contract.  if they simply kept amazon on the same terms, every time amazon offered a book with less than 30% margins (assuming amazon paid the same wholesale price as apple),...
maybe the reason you found the books cheaper on amazon is because the publishers of those books admitted they were guilty of price fixing, and have since reverted to their previous pricing agreements.  Under the agreement signed with apple, Amazon was NOT ALLOWED to price their books less than a fixed price, and apple would be able to buy their books for 30% less than that fixed price.  As apple charges a 30% premium on content, that would mean the CHEAPEST amazon could...
This might be the most confusing and useless article ive read in a while. The article tries to imply that samsung gets better subsidies than their competitors, but the truth is that apples phones are subsidized far more than their competitors. The only thing this article says is that samsung sells lots of "value" phones that are fully subsidized by the carriers. However that would be better illustrated by comparing average price per phone. Considering that the iPhone...
There are tradeoffs made between iOS and Android, however the consensus on this forum seems to be that malware on android is a HUGE problem.  The truth is that a small number of android devices have malware, and most of them got it from third party stores.  A story saying that malware on android increased by X% isn't really news unless you know what the base number is.  If ONE virus came out that attacked unjailbroken iOS devices, the percentage increase in malware would...
yes, because apple's stock being down today has nothing to do with the market as a whole.  Apple is down a bit more than the rest of the market, but that could just mean that the big mutual funds (the biggest "owners" of most stock) held more apple shares than other companies.  As they pull some of their assets from the market and put them into bonds and securities, it hurts the companies they invested in heavily in more than many others.  With the current market...
If anything, this editorial simply reiterates why investors are afriad of apple despite record profits. Apples current position was created by making knock ou of the park products; products that were so awesome the competition just didnt really exist. Today, the competition is almost as good, if not as good as apple, so apple must hit another homerun this year to maintain the profit margins that theyre used to. This is a lot of pressure for any company to be...
Talk about trolling... The linked article is about a Samsung executive who was caught evading taxes and pardoned.  It has nothing to do with the company's taxes.  I'm sure there have been apple employees who have cheated the government on their taxes (with as many employees as apple has, it's bound to have happened), but I wouldn't point at that and say that apple is cheating the government out of taxes.  A company is not responsible for every action their employees make,...
Honestly, it doesn't need a separate data plan on android.  All you do is set up your android device, and use a google voice number as your primary number.  Install the google voice application on a tablet, and assuming they don't have the retarded restrictions apple forced on the ios version of google voice, you can use it to answer your phone on your tablet.  I've started using google voice as my primary phone number, and it's great.  Right now the ios app on my ipad...