or Connect

Posts by philgar

I would argue that this was the case in the past, but far less so today.  Same with the apple being a luxury brand...  I don't see it as "true" going forward, at least not in the two big market segments they're currently concentrating on (phones and tablets).   When the iPhone came out it was leaps and bounds better than the competition. It was hardly competition, and paying $200 more for an iphone vs a blackberry was a no brainer.  Apple was wiping the floor with their...
Really now, that is just bull.  I just moved from an iphone 4 on AT&T to a pay as you go plan (and no, I didn't buy an apple phone partially because of the cost).  I also know others who either currently use smart phones on pay as you go networks, or who are thinking about it.  The reason for this should be obvious:  cost!   The major carriers subsidize phones heavily, but to do this they jack their prices up to insane rates, and charge you ridiculous fees for every...
  I don't know if I'd agree with that.  Apple's devices are significantly more expensive than competitors devices, especially when accounting for subsidies (apple tends to get a higher subsidy than other companies).  I recently switched from a contract plan to a pay as you go plan because a) my iphone went for a swim and b) pay as you go plans are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than traditional contracts in the US.  For $40 a month (tax included), I can get unlimited text/voice...
Anyone who's running with their phone likely has an armband for their phone.  Trying to run with a phone in your pocket, no matter how small doesn't sound comfortable.  I doubt the slightly larger 5" android phones are going to be that much harder to strap to someone's arm.  The main concern their is weight, and how tight it can be made.   Phil
I think people aren't really listening to the real message of this story.  It looks like NYC wants to help stop the stealing of apple devices, however they need help from apple owners.  A big part of the blame is likely the huge subsidies that phone makers pay for phones, but another part of the problem is how easy it is to sell stolen apple products.  Most people who have a phone think of it as costing $200 at most, and don't consider the $500 that the carriers are...
you really think it costs apple (or anyone) anywhere near $40 for a cable???  unless these cables are hand crafted by expensive lawyers, they won't cost that much to produce.  I highly doubt apple spends more than $5 a cable.  If this is the case, why couldn't a competitor build a similar cable with similar build quality (non toxic, non child molesting, etc) for the same price, or a small amount more to account for volumes?  The next thing you're going to tell me is that...
I think you mistake my reference to a notebook.. I meant the paper kind... Not the laptop kind.  A regular notebook is incredibly versatile for taking notes, it's almost as if it was designed with that task in mind.  I remember trying to use my old laptop in class years ago, and all it did was encourage me to not pay attention by distracting me.  Although useful in labs, computers (including an ipad) are far more of a distraction to students in a lecture hall than they...
I'm not sure what you're getting at for taking notes, I'm sure their are apps that allow it, and make it fairly decent, but I highly doubt it beats old pencil and paper.  The only advantage of taking notes on your ipad is that you're less likely to lose/forget your ipad than your notebook.  As far as locking down a web browser and shutting off local wifi to prevent cheating... Good luck.  What happens when a student tethers from their phone?  As far as I know no ios apps...
am I the only one who wonders why a university would do this?  I personally love having my iPad, but see next to NO value having it in a lecture hall.  I'm a computer engineer, and have sat through more than my share of classes, and if anything, electronic devices distract the students.  Phones, tablets, laptops, etc.  At least a laptop user could be taking notes, and people can legitimately say that they can type as fast as the professor speaks.    That kind of works...
    that sounds great, but it relies on every device always responding to every remote event.  In reality this is often the case, but not often enough.  This is particularly true with on/off buttons.  Most devices seem to have a single remote code for "power", and what happens when one device doesn't go on properly.  You hit the power button again, and the other devices turn off.  I used a system like that in the past, and people hated it because they couldn't figure out...