or Connect

Posts by philgar

Fave you actually used a Google TV?  I have, and I must say I really like it.  I have two logitech revues in my house that I bought for $80 or so a piece.  Granted the initial price point was WAY too high, but at $100 a piece, they're great devices.  Before switching to google TV, I used a HTPC setup, and although I could use it, it seemed that everyone else was at a complete loss.    With the google TV, everyone I know could pick up the "remote", and get the TV working...
no, the stock had a dip because it was valued based on expectations that apple would have even higher profits than they did.  People act like this is a bad thing, it just means more people jumped on the apple stock bandwagon thinking it had unlimited growth, when in fact its growth was limited.  I think part of the stock price is the lack of anything from apple that could be construed as "the next big thing".  It is difficult for apple to grow bigger in the markets they...
or maybe because the extremely wealthy like the exclusive spot they hold.  No one has proposed a tax on wealth, but rather one on income.  The super wealthy will still be super wealthy no matter how high income taxes are... they just stop earning income.  And for many of them, they don't care.  They have enough to live the good life already, and by taxing incomes heavily, it becomes significantly harder for anyone else (or their small competitors) to reach the same point...
finally someone with sense on here.  I've been an apple user since I bought an ibook back in 2004.  Since then I've bought a macbook, multiple ipods, an iphone, and an ipad.  However, going forward, I don't think I can stomach buying any more apple products.  It used to be that apple's interface was so good that it justified the price premium they charged.  OSX was far better than linux, and I fell in love with expose (I refuse to update my laptop beyond snow leopard, as...
Yeah, you know this how?  We have no guarantee that apple doesn't collect our search data, and sell aggregate data to the world.  They were collecting our locations for how many years now?  You don't think apple is mining the gold mine of data that every iOS user is giving them.  All of their queries through them, every location they go to etc.  And now that they have maps, you can guarantee that apple will be collecting what you search for, and when etc.  And if they...
does it matter if they're a minority or not?  If 10% of iOS users are upset about the change, that is SIGNIFICANT.  If apple lost a quarter of those users the next time they upgrade, you're talking about a large chunk of money.  49% of users is also a minority.  If it was really bad for that 49% and they all left, would that be a big deal for apple?  I agree with you when the number of people complaining is a fraction of 1%, that they can easily be overlooked, but there's...
The thing is the stock price was already reflecting sales that these experts predicted for the quarter.  If it doesn't match those expectations, the stock value will fall.  The analysts exist to try and determine if buying a stock is a good deal right now, and if they anticipate higher sales, they buy, and when they adjust sales downward, they sell stocks.  It's not that complicated.  Also remember that you're taking a $10 shift as if it's a large change... When a stock...
the real issue is, how low in price can apple reasonably sell the 3GS before cutting into their profit margins?  At this point, I doubt it costs much more for them to produce the iphone 4 than it does to make the 3GS, so while they could reduce the price maybe $25 or something, it's doubtful that that would be enough of a drop to make a difference.  With that in mind, it just doesn't seem worthwhile to keep the old production lines in operation producing this device.   Phil
haven't people heard of genericized naming?  The first "real" tablet on the market to gain any market share was the iPad.  The iPad has since become associated with every tablet device, with the possible exception of the kindle fire, because people associate that as an ebook reader first.  I imagine a lot of people are lazy and don't want to say computer tablet or whatever (and just saying tablet can be confused with a tablet of paper), and just say ipad.  They are not...
  Your assertion that samsung copied the ipad at the manufacturing stage is pure crap.  First, apple is one of the most secretive companies EVER.  I doubt most of their employees knew what the ipad looked like before it was released.  Why would Samsung have to know what it was going to look like in advance?  They manufacture what... the screens, the processors, and the flash.  You don't need to know what the shell of a device looks like to manufacture any of these parts,...