or Connect

Posts by philgar

the key word here is "from a distance".  After examining the product, it was clear it was not an ipad.  Did you really think it was an ipad because it looked identical to the ipad, or because the VAST majority of tablets that anyone will see anywhere are iPads.  From a distance, all touch-screen tablets are going to have a similar design.  There's a big screen that you touch, a headphone jack, a possible volume control button, and likely a button or two that have to be...
Just wait until Apple releases the Apple TV, then Samsung can sue apple for claiming that their device infringes upon Samsung's (and most everyone else in the industry's) design.  Large 16:9 rectangular screen, using LCD or plasma technology.  Integrated speakers to produce sound, Slightly rounded corners, thin, wall-mountable, etc.  Such a lawsuit seems pretty ridiculous, but it's no different than the ipad/galaxy tablet one.  The "design patents" apple is claiming had...
I don't know where you're coming from with this, but PCs were almost always disposable... I don't know many machines that EVER sat around for 6+ years unless they were a server, and even those are often replaced.  Computer technology has moved forward at a tremendous rate, and throughout the 90s, a 2 year old computer seemed like a dinosaur, and after three years you needed to upgrade it to use the latest CONSUMER software.  This hasn't been the case for the last 8 years...
  640KB ought to be enough for anyone.   Don't EVER assume that a certain amount of RAM is enough.  Give apple a few years,and I guarantee it won't be too hard for the machine to use all the RAM... And, what's the point of buying a $2500 machine unless you expect it to last a couple of years?   Phil
No, actually many CEOs have some intelligence, and realize that while performing on-site repairs may not be cheaper than sending laptops out to get fixed, the time of their employees is worth FAR more than the value of their computers.  Executives want their computers fixed within a few hours.  At the minimum, this would mean the technicians would have to have identical machines to try and swap the SSD into.  At that point, you might as well take apart the machine and fix...
  I doubt there are ANY cost savings by soldering the RAM directly onto the motherboard, however there are likely to be greater profits in doing this.  The cost savings (if anything) would be maybe $1 for both the connector, and extra premium for buying SODIMMS over DRAM modules...  This gets offset by two factors:   1.  The need for separate assembly lines for 8GB and 16 GB boards.  The additional part numbers etc 2.  Repairability... DRAM chips can, and DO go bad over...
    first, there are two separate things with regards to copying.  Android did not copy iOS source code, Android is an implementation of an operating system for embedded devices (mostly phones).  It was started BEFORE the iphone was released. What has been "copied" is portions of the interface... ie how a user interacts with the device.  It wasn't copied though, as no source code (that I know of) was stolen from apple and used to make the device.  The idea for some of...
So apparently, if you don't create what everyone calls innovative, you should never be able to compete in the market.  Seems like many here would be happy if android died tomorrow, and apple had 100% market share.  What happened to the days when everyone feared the monopoly, and how they stifle innovation etc?  Apple is still being innovative, but they need to the competition to stay on top of the game.  From a consumer standpoint (I don't own any apple stock right now),...
Just like DVDs, h.264, etc all use lossy compression, I'm sure Netflix uses lossy compression to deliver content to their users.  Uncompressed 1080p would require a pipe of ~3Gbps, and even using lossy compression won't get you much lower than 1Gbps.     I think what you meant is that Netflix's compression algorithms compress the data too much resulting in blocking etc.  However, I bet a lot of that could be the result of your ISP.   Phil
a lot of people have quoted this, but it's amazing that no one mentioned the one thing this post failed to mention ...  Just because minimum wage laws don't exist doesn't mean a factory could drop wages below minimum wage.  In fact, if we look at many of the factory jobs in the USA, they pay quite a bit higher than minimum wage.  Don't think for a second that this is because the companies are altruistic (although in some cases unions have pushed wages beyond what would...