or Connect

Posts by wizard69

Hi Relic;People should keep an eye on ARMCon and the new chips rolling out. Some of these ARM 64 bit implementations are pretty impressive. It gives me hope of a lot of upside performance potential in Apples A8 implemented in an iPad.People need to understand that the current A8 is optimized for low power. We could see vastly better performance simply by allowing for more wattage.
I've learned to never say never.As to Phi in a Mac, that would only work if Phi is upgraded to fully support an OS such a Mac OS. There are indications that the next phi may very well be able to do that. In effect Phi would replace the run of the mill XEON processor in the Mac Pro. For some work loads this would be a fantastic upgrade for others it might be more ho hum.You could probably build one with an external TB connected chassis assuming you could find a...
So!What type of person get worked up over useless design treatments to an iPad. IPad is effectively a piece of glass thatis touch sensitive, as such there isn't much design wise that makes a big difference.Your selfishness here is unmatched by any recent post to AI. We need better performance, all around from Apple.
Why would you even hope for that? If anything Apple has been too slow to make the sort of dramatic improvements that iPad needs. Contrary to your position I'm really hoping that the AIR 2 update is dramatically improved over the current iPad. The whole reason I'm still on an iPad 3 is that I don't want piss away hard earned money on an iPad that doesn't have enough RAM nor flash at the price point I'm willing to pay for.
Well with Apple never buy rev one is a common cry. In this case though I'd take a wait and see to determine just how bad the screen impacts performance. In other words don't knock it until it ships.The thing here is that we don't know the exact configuration yet. Since success or failure will be tied tot the GPU we really would need to know just what is being offered up as a GPU. If the go with a next gen GPU with a very fast RAM interface for that GPU the new...
Not a chance with the same power and thermal limits of the current iMac. I would imagine that the GPU would be running on a next generation process. Even then I would expect it to be "hot".Not even close. You need to remember that XEONs and desktop Intel processors target different users.Maybe. However the cost of RAM is so cheap I don't think it matters that much. If Apple restricts RAM too much they just end up looking cheap and stingy.If you can even consider...
Sounds like an AMD GPU.I may not be much of an iMac fan but here I have to defend the machine a bit as it has never been a gaming machine nor has it ever targeted that niche. So I can't fathom why you would even bring gaming into the discussion. Depending upon how those GPUs perform though, this machine would be of interest to far more niches than web browsing. Design work comes to mind.
I doubt it. Haswell would have made for an excellent GPU upgrade in the Mini. To delay for over a year just for display port 1.3 would be very stupid in my mind.I suspect it has a lot to do with the lack of profits in displays and the fact that most users buy Mini's and Pro's because they don't want Apple displays. Beyond that it will be some time before the Mini has the GPU chops to drive demanding applications across the new ultra high resolution displays.
Currently the best. It can do is act as a co-processor in the same way a GPU does.It isn't much worst that learning any other non mainstream programming technology. OpenCL, DSP programming and other technologies may be "different" but different isn't impossible.The potential here would be for future Zeon Phi's that Intel supposedly will deliver In the next generation that are supposedly going to be able to support mainstream operating systems. So if they do deliver it...
[[SPOILER]]It all depends upon which direction Apple goes. If they want to ship a fan less Mini I doubt it will be built on a 15 watt chip.Unfortunately that link tells us very little about the actual hardware, the clock rate and more importantly the power (thermal) of the chip was not mentioned. So it isn't possible to do a rational comparison. As it is A8 appears to perform closer to an i3 or a slow i5 in some tasks.For a low end machine I don't think it would be a...