or Connect

Posts by wizard69

The best we can hope for is a release within a few weeks. I don't expect a spectacular update because I have to agree with another poster, Apple wanted to move to Broadwell and got screwed over by Intels delays. So any visions I had of a massive refactoring seem to have been squashed. This I'm expecting minor updates now in the same old box. It would be nice if I was wrong but hey you never know.As to an i5, Id buy the machine most likely to remain viable for a long...
I really find such questions perplexing. Honestly do you not understand the massive performance differential between the Mini and the Mac Pro? When I look at the Mini I see a machine that is severly constrained by the devices thermal capabilities. This forces the quad core models into really slow clock rates. Build a mini that can accept quad core desktop chips of more than 45 watts and that problem goes away. Supplement that desktop chip with a middle of the...
Do you honestly believe that they knew it was a unarmed airliner at the time? By the way the US has shot down unarmed airliners.You need to check your history here. People screw up all the time. The only difference is that in the military a screw up is obvious and often takes many lives with it.In case you are wondering the US shot down an Iranian air liner a few years back. There is a good arguement that they deserved it but the reality is it was a screw up.By the...
The Mini is a lot better than you are implying. With a modern Intel chip it would be very competitive given the excellent OpenCL performance of the Iris GPUs.The Mini is excellent for what it is, what Apple needs is a Midrange desktop that sits between the Mini and the Mac Pro performance and price wise. In fact I've been saying this for some time. I can see putting the Mini to use in a number of ways that don't involve being a primary machine. The Mini isnt a problem...
You seem to imply that complaining about the lack of a Mini upgrade is unjustified. Fact is it is a rational response to Apples neglect.
I just got a seriously large Amazon gift card so the desire to get a Mini has revived itself. Better come quick as I have some shop tools I have an eye on.
The lack of a decent processor update isn't Apples fault. Broadwell was due months ago. Intel is really screwing the pooch here.
I crossed 50 a few years ago so things like the UI feature sizes do matter. Even then the 17" is just a big machine to carry around.After having an iPad for a couple of years now I have an even stronger appreciation for small. However that needs to be balanced against the fact that vision is a problem that didn't exist in the past. So while I might be tempted by a 13" if I did get another laptop it probably would be a 15".The discussion is relevant though because...
Apple could change the resolution, that might actually work out well for many users. But you would still have the volume problem due to size. Apple might be able to change the aspect ratio to narrow the machine some but then you have special order panels.Interesting observation.The problem with both the rumored larger iPhones and the 17" MBP is that they are both the results of fads. As you note some will get attached to the larger screens and at times even leverage...
I can only base my opinion here on what I've seen in a corporate environment. In this case engineers ended up rejecting the large laptops because they where cumbersome to work on. This especially if you had to travel a lot. Personally I have an older 15" MBP and sometimes that amchine is more in the way than useful, it is very inconvienent when traveling that is for sure.Obviously you don't understand what I'm saying. The benefits of a larger screen are clearly...