or Connect

Posts by wizard69

Well yes and no. It isn't news that pilot construction of new iPhones has started, just the timing is an issue. I suspect that they have bugs and glitches to work out as all ramp ups do. The other thing is that they most likely want to have a larger inventory built up than in the past.All that being said you always start your initial production before your debut date! Some components like A9 most likely have taped out months ago. I wouldn't be surprised to find...
Over time it adds up to a lot of money, a point people seem to mis often. Beyond that if the majority of your connectivity is over cell connections it is expensive use of your data plan. This especially if you just want to access a file that should be held locally.I use Apples cloud services all the time for syncing apps. What I'm talking about here is using the cloud for file storage because you don't have the room to store stuff locally. In other words it is a...
This in a nut shell is the whole problem, the cost of flash has dropped dramatically over the years. As such it makes Apples tiering look really bad. I'd be the first to admit that Apples hold on flash has allowed them to implement higher cost technologies like retina at no cost to the user but that is old hat now.I'm not even sure how many even tolerate the cost of cloud services. Cloud storage raises hell with your data plans and the reoccurring costs add up fast...
For one part of a backup program the cloud is reasonable. Using the cloud in the way Apple wants users to use the cloud is stupid or morse so completely asinine. This especially in the context of a cell phone when most of us are not near a WiFi link when about with that cell phone. Between the impact on your data plan and Apples iCloud fees it is a very expensive way to store data. That is assuming you even have a high speed connection to retrieve that data.As iOS...
The cost for 16 GB of flash these days is trivial, equal to what 4 GB of flash cost a few years ago. Like wise the cost of flash in other sizes has come down significantly. These days even high performances SSD's are pretty cheap.Not in my case! I'd like to see the 16 GB machine stay in the line up with a 128 GB and 256 GB of storage in the current price brackets. This is very doable with today's technology.That still isn't perfect though and to make the high end...
Unfortunately I see the low storage configurations as a way for Apple to drive iCloud usage. Or at least it is Apples effort to drive iCloud storage. The problem is cloud storage in general is pretty stupid, unreliable and most importantly very costly. So no reasonable person wants cloud storage in place of local storage.A 16 GB phone is exactly what many corporations want though. To put it simply they don't want employees carrying a lot of easy to loose data...
It is interesting to see that pilot assemblies are already shipping for the next iPhone. Makes me wonder if the debut will be earlier than normal, maybe the end of August.
Without a doubt the SSD is a big factor in the machines usability as is the RAM. I was pleasantly surprised that HomeBrew could saturate the machine with four threads while updating some apps and the machine remained very usable running a video. Not fast or super responsive but at least usable.I wouldn't say skipped over yet. I don't expect to see a huge update until AMD can supply them with the new HBM GPUs. They might even wait for 14 nm XEONs and probably TB3...
Nothing is as purvey as Google Glass.It is possible, many places already have plenty of problems with cell phones. It is unfortunate that so many cant respect the space of others.Well maybe not. There are legitimate uses just like there are legitimate uses for cell phone cameras or even Google Glass. The problem isn't the technology it is rather the user that is the problem. Much of this could be solved if one was free to beat the living hell out of some of these...
This is what I meant by residual sales, that is sales after early adopters left. The 17" MBP was on the downward slide well before retina came out. You could see that in the lackluster upgrades that the machine got compared to the 15" machine. The retina models just sealed the 17" machines fate.Watch addresses needs that exist, I hope I'm not implying that. My concern is people indicating it is a success when then early adopters sales haven't even really started...