or Connect

Posts by wizard69

I'd like to see a series of ARM based Macs myself. Apple still needs i86 hardware for the foreseeable future though. To deal with that they would need to offer a different product line. My primary desire is much lower cost Mac OS hardware.The need to run i86 software varies with the owner so Apple can't abandon i86 anytime soon. However A8 with a clock rate boost could certainly handle entry level needs and with more cores be a serviceable work station. In fact I...
I have mixed feelings about your post because you seem to mis some of the realities about AMDs postition.For one Intel has abused their monopoly position and that is a matter of public record.No company is perfect and frankly Intel has screwed often but gets a free pass from industry. However anti competitive practices have harmed AMD greatly and in some case have lead directly to some of its failings.Fabs are very important whe you competition is Intel.As for management...
It would be interesting to see what the decision making process was at Samsung. It is possible that the direction was set by a bunch of marketing fools. More PPI might be of use when GOU hardware catches up but when it noticeably impacts performance it is pretty stupid. The question the pm becomes is this a software or hardware performance problem. In the end this is the unanswered question in this forum, are the bad results hardware or software related on these...
Well maybe. The problem with cores is that you need to use them. Further in the fase of big.LITTLE i think ARM fell off the deep end to come up with that idea. So lets look at these chips as quad cores. Given proper software those four cores could be leveraged to advantage. Samsungs failure here is more about the software stacks common on mobile platform, a lot of it simply does leverage those cores.Well obviously matjeting is a factor here. Given that though if...
Negligible? That 30% makes the 13" retina MBPs viable!Up to now no but every process shrink makes the possibility more realistic. Eventually Intel will get to where it wants to be GPU wise and will refocus on the CPUs built into its APUs. Even today CPUs are often a minor part of the whole die.Simplified line ups. The 14" effective slots in between todays 13" & 15" machines. The 16" slots in between the 15" & the missing 17".You imply the performance differential...
I really cringe when I see this in print. The 13" MBP offers enough incentive performance wise that it is still a justifiable upgrade for many.Err no. Going retina in the Air just offers Apple additional opportunity with the 13" MBP. The big opportunity would be either quad core or an enhanced GPU relative to the AIR. There are still parts of the MBP at makes it a worthwhile machine comported to the Air.Given all of that I'd like to see Apple completely refactor...
At this point you don't want to be buying any thing Mac or iPad related from Apple. The rumored new product release is only 12 days or so away and hopefully we will learn what is new then.However I wouldn't hold out much hope for new laptops. The machines where recently revved and in most cases Intel has nothing better to offer for an update. There are rumors of a 12" retina MBA coming but I don't have much faith in the rumors nor the ability of Apple to deliver a...
Innovation comes from (in part) taking what is known and applying it in new ways. This is something Apple is very good at also. Much progress has been made in the world by some guy saying hey couldn't we use this widget in a novel way to solve our problem.
Do you have any idea what the history of Apple and Samsung is with respect to the SoC in the cell phone. IPhones first couple of chips where largely Samsung designs with Apple slowly adding their own IP in later models. In fact Apple bought Intrinsity due to the low power designs they helped Samsung with. They also bought PA Semi to beef up the in house design team.Do you have any ability at all to read for content? It is Samsungs manufacturing capacity that has...
Shocking if it comes to pass. I don't thnk most people understand how badly Intel fumbled 14 nm.A little edit here. The other big thing is that Apple has some very high transistor density in A8 so they may already be close to competitive with Intel.