or Connect

Posts by wizard69

I'd laugh if we find out that Apple has an alternative use for all of this sapphire.
It is completely possible that the patent is valid in China. That would make invalidating it impossible. The question should be does Apple infringe.
Nice! Now let's see some OpenCL support!
I'd love to see the Haswell EX architecture transferred to a processor suitable for the Mac Pro. With the 5 core complexes that would make for a nice 15 core machine. Especially with the vastly improved support infrastructure.
I realize that but at the same time I think that was the direction Apple was heading. Sometime around 2011 or 2012 they seemed to have a change of heart.Actually I see that as damn good performance. Taken as a whole the chip offers a lot of features that will make it very compelling. Beyond that it is cores that makes or breaks servers not so much performance per core.Not in the markets it will be competing in, which is the same markets Intel is trying to corner with...
This is meaningless commentary on a product that hasn't even had time for software to achieve normal optimization. Not to mention that you need operating system support to fully leverage the capability. In a nut shell it is far too early to pass judgement on HSA via app testing. It will likely take a couple of years for everything to develop properly.The point here though is that the reasoning behind HSA is very sound and the architecture melds well with Apples...
Priced right I might buy a Mini with an Iris Pro. The GPU is the one piece of the pie that has underwhelmed for some time.This is highly debatable, the Haswell CPU is very power effcient. We are dealing with moving target here though. I think what people mis when dissing the performance of ARM processors is that Apples current A7 is a low clocked processor. It does amazingly well considering it is Apples (the industries) first ARM 64 bit machine. It wouldn't...
if these guys : http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014021801_Some_details_of_Haswell_Refresh_desktop_CPUs.html, are right there are only a few refreshes worth the effort. Those would be the ones going from dual to quad core. I believe these are all desktop chips but in the context of the Mini, it is hard to say for sure that Apple will stay with laptop processors. This report: is rather firm when it comes to Broadwell:...
It is pretty clear Apple doesn't care. I actually think the Mac line, the entire product line, was about to be jettison a few years ago. The problem is Apple has ignored the desktop product line for so long that it is no surprise at all that most of their sales go to laptops. Maybe the Mac Pro is an indictor that Apple has taken a renewed interest in desktops and has a major rework of its desktop product line in the works.With iTunes, AppleTV and all the other media...
Actually the Haswell release got split between the mid summer and fall. Your point remains though it has been a very long time. This is why I suspect a major overhaul of the platform.HD 4000 is Intel just getting there and as you state isn't exactly something to be proud of. This isn't just a gaming issue either. Haswell goes a long ways to correcting this though.RAM is a very important feature that enable goo OS/X performance so if that laggy feel is a problem you...