or Connect

Posts by wizard69

You could be right there. I'm sitting here though imagining what a pain it would be to line up all three of those sensors on the prism. I susppose they could recombine the image in software. I do a lot of alignment of optical systems at work and realize just how tedious getting it right can be.A folded lens should be able to support larger diameter elements and otherwise clear the optical path. If Apple has any sense at all they would focus on getting higher...
Seriously don't give up hope! Apple has rightfully stressed optical performance since day one so maybe they have something a little more advanced than a simple zoom. That being said there where few optical elements in that drawing.I'm sitting here remembering how massive my old 80-200 Nikon zoom was. This is one reason why I really hope that Apple would see reason and make the next iPhine tapered to allow for a little more packing space for that optical system. ...
That is certainly one approach, I just caution that the labeling implies one image sensor.It is interesting that to date the only option of note that is an alternative to Bayer filtering if the Foveon. If I got that name right. Here I'm thinking commonly available cameras.That would give the camera processor a work out. The current guesstimate is that the camera processor is still a good portion of the A8 series.Here is where I'm not convinced that the bulge will be...
Look again, only one is labeled as an image sensor. That doesn't mean the other sensors aren't contributing to the image just that it isn't clear what they are all doing. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find at least one dedicated to stabilization.I suspect that the design is one of those win some, loose some designs. A larger optical path may lead to more light transmitted but with losses elsewhere.
That would be nice but I'd be shocked if they could produce a constant aperture zoom in such a small space. The tendency in most zooms is to increase the F ratio so I fear the loss of a couple of stops.
Maybe! It is hard to tell. However they would need a sensor for focusing, shake compensation and exposure measurement. Often that is built into the main sensor.I suppose that is possible. My feeling right now is that the folded light path might be more efficient so it might make up for losses. Looking back on some of the other recent rumors they might actually have two sensors one for luminance and one for color.Most certainly! I'm hoping that they can hit 3X...
This could be a problem but I can see Apple making the next iPhone a wedge. It is a form factor that has worked well over the years for other products. It might actually allow Apple to improve low light sensitivity.You also loose at the beam splitters. You may gain some back though by use of larger optical elements. In the end though optical zoom can greatly enhance photographic quality if your only other option is to crop existing pixels. Zooming in can be seen...
The heavier the better. I use to carry around an RZ doing outdoor photography, amazing camera in its day! It was certainly heavy but that allowed pulling off some sharp hand held photos.There are many factors involved, lens focal length, resolution at the sensor and etc. all impact how a camera records shake. Plus you need to hold it right.Maybe one day we will get those features in a cell phone camera. Interestingly folded optics like this would certainly afford...
At least in ARMs case I have to believe the real advancement isn't in the technology but rather the business model. The licensing of their designs allows manufacutres to rapidly integrate their own improvements. Thus the super chips from Apple and Qualcomm that go far beyond reference designs from ARM.In any event ARMs licensing approach has allowed them to sneak up on Intel which is the real surprise here.Well the thing with music is that talent is only part of the...
Not as many companies with high quality GPUs though. Even ARMs GPU has a tough time competing with Imagination.Imagination did purchase MIPS technology and it looks like they want to compete with ARM with the same marketing strategy.If Apple really wanted that technical capability they would have purchased MIPS in 2013.They have more or less brought the GPU development in house already by hirering many AMD engineers. There is enough customization in the A8X GPU to...