or Connect

Posts by wizard69

Bingo!, Powerful enough to replace the Mini as a desktop computer.
People do need to understand that we don't know what the maximum clock rate on A7 is much less an unreleased A8. However ARM cores have been reported to run much faster than 1.6 GHz. If Apple can hit 2.6 GHz on a much faster memory bus I'm pretty sure that A7 or A8 would put many mainstream chips to shame.On modern hardware recompiles take place in minutes, it is seldom an all day ordeal anymore.That could very well be triple to an extent but do realize that Intel is...
You are assuming that there would be fragmentation. There are a number of ways Apple could pull this off. One way is to make it an iOS laptop. The second would be to make it a Mac laptop that runs iOS apps in a window. That is just two approaches.You can't look a machines designed for the pro market in the same way as for the general consumer. The fact is, as demonstrated by the iOS world, is that most consumers have zero need for i86 compatibility. Even more so...
How about maybe! It really depends upon what Apple delivers.Did you not read the article, the performance potential is there. You assume that in a laptop that at they would use the same exact hardware. A faster RAM interface would have a dramatic impact.Intel compatibility is only of concern to a few. As to fat binaries that is looking to the past.Baloney.The benefits would be huge, laptops that are 2-300 dollars cheaper being one benefit. Piloting your own ship...
Not at all, for the most part iOS is Mac OS with a slightly different GUI and a more restricted execution environment. That being said I'd love to see a Mac OS device that uses A7/A8. Even better if the machine supports easily booting other operating systems.
One would be good enough. The biggest hurdle to SoC performance these days is bandwidth to RAM. If Apple solves that an A8 would be fine.
To that question your only recourse is the benchmarking sights! Even then you have to take numbers with a grain of salt. The problem with benchmarking is that the benchmarks don't often reflect real world use but rather raw performance. This is especially a problem with hardware supporting integrated graphics because of bandwidth limitations.
Somewhat slower but a considerable step forward from previous years.The smart move would be to wait for Intel chips that support DDR 4 RAM. If Haswell refresh brings us DDR4 RAM that would make for a nice Mini. The sad reality of all of these chips with integrated GPUs is that they are bandwidth limited, significantly faster RAM makes for better utilization of the hardware in the processor SoC.I suspect they where tired of customers complaining about the Minis high...
How do you feel about an ARM based Mini? It is becoming fairly clear that Apples ARM chips are highly capable and that Cyclone has far more potential than can be demonstrated in a cell phone. Given that Apple will likely have an A8 out this year with even better performance, it makes the idea plausible.
Actually payments are in fact why I see it as possible that an update to the iOS line will come with or before WWDC. If nothing else that finger print sensor needs to be rolled out to the rest of the iOS device line up.Current sales have nothing to do with releasing new products.If a payments solution comes out at WWDC to be delivered months later, Apple would still need rev hardware at the time of the announcement. If they didn't sales of non comforting devices would...