or Connect

Posts by wizard69

IOS is constantly evolving so I doubt that it will remain in its current form long just as it has continued to morph with each major release.I'm not sure local development of full apps would ever be supported by Apple. I could see however an on board programming environment designed to off up some of those scripting capabilities you want. It won't be a "shell" but rather a Swift environment tailored for that use.The big problem here is how do you get around the app...
MiFi is exactly why they should want to delete Lightening. It limits implementation of iPad to those people willing to screw around with the MiFi program and as such that critically limits who will develop external devices suitable for use with iPad.Dumping MiFi would dramatically reduce the resistance to the development of custom drivers for USB-C hardware. The elimination of MiFi means that we don't have to have special Apple only external hardware which effectively...
I think it is highly probably that they will dump Lightening. Lightening is a proprietary port and as such materially impacts the sales potential of the iPad lineup. The lack of a standard and open port is a huge problem for wider implementation of the iPad in more traditional touch screen locations.Well this is true. However I'm confident that something is happening with the iPad line up. A technology shakeup like moving to USB-C, along with the easy ability to load...
while true there are trade offs to be made and here I'm thinking Apple will go after physical size in the next rev. If I remember correctly this is still a 22 mm technology device, just going to 14 nm would provide Apple with enough real estate to incorporate much of the computing tech outside of the main CPU.as processes shrink there is a point at which the chip doesn't become smaller due to the need to wire bond. So integrating as much as possible becomes the norm...
Batteries of all types are high margin devices. I wouldn't be surprise to find that number in the ball park.
Talk about a hot potatoe, nobody in the legitimate media will touch that iPad. Considering its uniqueness and traceability it is probably already in a landfill someplace.
I really don't think people take volumes into consideration here. Even your numbers seem low. If you factor in all Apple devices using A series chips at one time, Apple is getting close to shipping 100 million A series chips per quarter. Of course that doesn't represent all A9's later this year but the mix could tip in the direction of more advanced chips later this year. That would be due to a new Apple TV, updated iPhones and updated iPad Mini, iPad and so forth....
You realistically can't say this. First; it is very possible to deliver functional identical parts which is all that matters to Apple. Sure there will be physical difference due to the process so the chips aren't the "same" but from the users standpoint they won't be able to tell the difference.Second; Apples volumes are huge! This means the economics that many companies have to live with don't impact Apple. Apple is approaching a 100 million chips per quarter, a...
I was actually addressing this in another thread someplace, but on the iPad i think it is a requirement to drive adoption. There is a caveat though, Apple needs to open up iOS so that developers can use the port without the need to enter into the MiFi program. MiFI is a massive limitation on the iPad, far more so than on the iPhone. iPad could find itself in all sorts of use cases if the user/developer didn't have to enter into the MiFi program for limited interest...
I would hope that Cook grasps onto the idea that the iPad market is slightly different than the iPhone market. First; IPad doesn't server as a primary communications devices (cell phone) and as such doesn't need to be totally locked down. Second; the enterprise and even a good portion of the consumer market prefers standard ports, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a move to USB-C. Third; easy access to that port is important. With a little tweaking to the device...