or Connect

Posts by wizard69

What is neat is that 128 MB of RAM is still enough to keep the core or an app in that cache. In some cases the on chip caches are big enough to keep the core of an app on chip. This has a very profound impact on performance.Yeah it is storage but there is a big difference in the way it is addressed.Yep! This is what I was getting at when using the word "closer" as closeness is very important to speeding up a computer. Speed and distance are wedded in computer...
it is too bad there isn't a more public history of the development of iOS and iPads/IPhones. What is really interesting here is that the detour into the iPhine gave time to debut the iPad with much better hardware which I see as a significant deal in the success of iPad. If iPad shipped with the first generation of iPhone processors it would have had to struggle to obtain consumer acceptance.as a consumer sometimes Apple drags its feet and this causes me concern as a...
On my iPad 3 it has been a mixed bag with some aspects of the machine obviously slower and others improved. I especially like that Safari is much snappier. I would not be surprised to see some minor performance improvements but would be happy to see the bugs gone instead.
Hopefully I can get this beta installed to test soon as this is my second attempt to respond. Yep Safari hung up while writing my first response. By the way I see this particular bug when writing in a text box like this one. Generally it seems to be related to the use of a back space key and is near impossible to force to happen.In your case you describe something a bit different. If you can in fact reproduce the problem then I'd suggest detailing everything...
IOS actually seems to be better from me than Mac OS as far as bugs go. However the Safari bug, where it locks up during text entry, sucks. I have a bug report in for that one and it is still open. Most of the bugs in iOS 8 seem to be less noticeable if you aren't looking closely.So im hoping this release actually smooths things out. In forums like this I can get hit with the Safari lock up bug rather randomly and sometimes go for days not seeing a problem.
What are you talking about here, the released software or the Beta?
In this case Crystallwell is effectively a high speed cache chip. This isn't the same thing as system memory but the impact on performance is due to it being faster than DDR3 RAM.What I find shocking (if that is the right word) is that 128 MB of Cache RAM is more memory that some of my first few computers had altogether. The industry certainly has come a long way in one lifetime.The funny thing is you never heard complaints about Cache memory moving on die or into the...
Yes effectively a multi chip module.
Sorry about some of the auto correct typos in my earlier post!Well yeah sometimes it does sound that way. However you have to realize a few things. One is that going to RAM slows a processor down today significantly. There is a lot of contention for access to RAM and more cores and better GPUs integrated in the SoC just makes that bandwidth issue worst. The short term solution for desktop and probably mobile is DDR 4 wich is actually here now in some hardware. ...
No I mean high speed RAM mounted right in the same module as the processor silicon and closely tied to the processor through a very high speed bus. The goal is far higher performance out of the RAM.