or Connect

Posts by wizard69

What are you talking about here, the released software or the Beta?
In this case Crystallwell is effectively a high speed cache chip. This isn't the same thing as system memory but the impact on performance is due to it being faster than DDR3 RAM.What I find shocking (if that is the right word) is that 128 MB of Cache RAM is more memory that some of my first few computers had altogether. The industry certainly has come a long way in one lifetime.The funny thing is you never heard complaints about Cache memory moving on die or into the...
Yes effectively a multi chip module.
Sorry about some of the auto correct typos in my earlier post!Well yeah sometimes it does sound that way. However you have to realize a few things. One is that going to RAM slows a processor down today significantly. There is a lot of contention for access to RAM and more cores and better GPUs integrated in the SoC just makes that bandwidth issue worst. The short term solution for desktop and probably mobile is DDR 4 wich is actually here now in some hardware. ...
No I mean high speed RAM mounted right in the same module as the processor silicon and closely tied to the processor through a very high speed bus. The goal is far higher performance out of the RAM.
Well that is hard to say exactly but this may interest you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8217/intels-knights-landing-coprocessor-detailed. This chip is for 2015 and with an execrated trickle down to conventional chips we could see this in desk top chips in three years. However you also need to consider Haswells with Iris Pro which is a slightly different technology to deal with the same issue of memory performance. So the basic concept of putting memory in the...
Supply can and has been an issue. However Apple put LPDDR3 into the new Mini so I can't imagine that supply is an issue at this moment in time.I've gotten to the point I don't care that much about the iPhone. The current models are too big and frankly I have my iPad to turn to for most of my internet usage. The only reason I'm even thinning about upgrading my iPhone 4 is to get faster internet that I can share with an iPad. That to get rid of one data plan. ...
It may seem odd but that is only because of what you are use to. Due to the low power requirements though adding but one core actually makes a lot of sense.It is interesting that we having seen a tear down yet of the iPad and the resultant look at the core of the A8X. Make me wonder what is taking so long here. However the interesting thing with the A8 was how much of the chip area was taken up with logic that has not been identified yet. This is not area...
I think we see reference to the Surface because people can't express what they need or want any better. they see the Surface as a bigger iPad and don't dwell on the negativity of the implementation.It would be no more a copy than the first iPad where copies of MP3 players. People need to realize that Apple has many options available to them when it comes to implementing a larger iPad.How about this; OS/X is only running in certain modes, the rest of the tie you get...
The lack of a quad core is a bit of a disappointment as that can have a significant bearing on performance for some users. Anybody whining about replaceable RAM is just out of Touch. Seriously what will these people do when RAM gets integrated right into the processor module?I can't say I'm extremely disappointed with Apple as Intel is partly to blame here. However Apple did have the option of boosting the power supply wattage to better support Intel decent quad...