or Connect

Posts by wizard69

Interesting that you should post this because, one of my problems with the iMac is the integrated screen. It is just too big for many applications. EI guess the counter argument is just buy a laptop. Of course the 17" is gone from Apples lineup. Interestingly back in the day I felt forced into an Apple laptop for lack of decent desktop solution.Between laptops and tablets I actually see demand for these low cost machines evaporating. Desktops will become more...
The AIR fills that role now.That is true but Apple really needs a laptop that starts below $700 and isn't a crap machine. This is where I see an ARM powered laptop as being very desirable. Apple could easily shave 2-300 dollars off the cost of a laptop going with an ARM based solution.They are product names, nothing more!!!! You are otherwise reading too much into names, Apple could call them the Cortland and Jonathan series if it wanted too.Which makes no sense at...
Actually the GPU isn't an overall win.The behavior of the processor would vary with apps. Beyond that Apple could easily change the clock rate of the GPU cores in the A7 as opposed to making an A7X. The discussion is frankly a little premature considering nothing has shipped yet. The A7 however brings a lot to the performance table with only a few regressions in the GPU. How much the more dramatic the other GPU improvements are, have already been seen in many apps...
Next week is a possibility. That would be an iPad Mini.The chip already runs at a low enough power level to drive an iPhone so that issue seems to be solved. I'm not sure what you mean by equatable performance as the A7 whips the older A series chips in almost every way. As for software A7 is already fully exploited by iOS and for the most part old apps run fine on the chip.By the way the strongest motivation for Apple here is marketing. Being able to say they have...
I'm not sure why you think that. On suggestion; Apples developer materials are free, take a look at XCode and the SDK documentation. They hide very little from developers for released materials. They have lots of options. Further they have yet to really leverage everything that LLVM and CLang can do or them.Actually it does introduce issues, some of which may be gotchas. For example simulator apps have access to more RAM.That isn't the way it happens though.
That 100% improvement per year won't last long, however A7 is looking to be an extraordinary advancement for Apple. Mind you this excellent result happens at 1.3 GHz, since many foundries have been demonstrating running ARM cores at well above 2GHz, there is no telling how fast Apple can run the A7. Add a bit more I/O, possibly in the A7X variant, and the processor could power a wide range of hardware.Many people have been comparing core performance to Intel hardware,...
A7 already appears to be a lower power device so just on that basis I can see it in the next Mini.
This is baloney. The concept of fat binaries must escape you and along with that Apples control over the App Store. It literally takes a fraction of a day for developers to target a new architecture. It is often referred to as a cross compile.Here is another fact for you, every iOS app gets compiled t run on i86 if the developer runs that App on the simulator.Only in your warped imagination. Nobody is even thinking about a surface like device.Again not even a...
Not really a problem considering how limited Apples lineup is right now. In fact one could make an argument that Apple could fill gaps in its line up that have been around for years.That is baloney. Apple could modify developer terms demanding a fat binary or alternative build for users of its App Store. Open source would build no problem. As always commercial apps not in the App Store would be on their own.Surface RT has absolutely nothing to do with OS/X on ARM. ...
Sometimes people have problems grasping this. Considering what we know about the current A7, Apple could easily hit the performance levels of a 2011 Mini or Mac Book AIR. However I could see Apple crafting an OS/X that allows iOS apps to run in a window.It most certainly would fill many niches. A box to do low power server duty would be one example. Vastly extended battery life's in a laptop would be another.