or Connect

Posts by wizard69

I have to concur though I'm not sure Apple realizes this yet! The market for uber workstations just isn't that huge these days. Actually it never has been huge.My hope is that Apple took the approach they did, with the new Mac Pro, to in part control cost to actually be able to market the machine at a far more reasonable price. If they haven't recognized the Mac Pros previous failure in the market place was partly due to an abusive price structure they will have...
They might come with the Mac Pro release which will be close to 2014 anyways.I don't expect to see huge CPU improvements anymore. Faster clock rates, more cores and more special instructions are a certainty but it has gotten to the point that huge engineer effort is required to get a few percent out of the ALU.Well that depends. Itis hard to kick anything if you are weighed down by a $7000 shoe.The interesting thing here is that hex core is possible with Haswell. To...
A custom config though is not a custom chip. As to MBPs it really depends upon which model we are talking about. In the 13" Iris only makes perfect sense as it would be a solid improvement. On the 15" the discussion is far more complex.The problem is this, the 15" "pro" is used by a very wide array of Pros, for many an Intel only solution would be a step backwards at this time. Especially when OpenCL still isn't running on Intel GPUs under Mac OS/X. Obviously...
I'm not convinced. What we do know is that Apple has at least a couple of design centers in Florida with at least a one hiring a lot of AMD engineers. Plus Apples hires in California.The only thing I've seen is indications that Apple will get specially binned processors. That is not an example of a custom GPU. If you have evidence of custom silicon cough it up as it would be most interesting to see where Apple and Intel are going.By the way I think this is...
That is part of it, but SATA is also legacy hardware. If ou get rid of SATA you eliminated a lot of inter posing electronics and thus a lot of wasted heat. Effectively dropping SATA completely can lead to a power savings.It is kinda late for that. Even in PC land PCI Express solutions are at hand. The industry has even come up with new standards for interchangeable hardware. It is a slow process but in a couple of years any SSD with a SATA interface will likely...
Yes it will be an interesting show.Actually I doubt that USB 3.1 isn't really ready, and Apple is moving away from SATA. The new WiFi standard is obvious and frankly already to go. So the rational reasons for late 2013 refreshes are TB 2 and the fact that Intel hasn't released the right Haswell chips for these machines.Not a chance.
By business I mean more professionally oriented. The iPad might be a cash register machine but to run a store you still need a server.You make an assumption that collaboration is a big deal for many in business. It is more of a niche than anything.
I'm in a similar boat though not in a rush, my 2008 MBP is beat up pretty bad. As for the AIR have you looked at current options, they have a 512 GB SSD available as an option that isn't priced too bad. As for retina the decision is yours but I find it strange that you have made a determination that you don't needed it when one of your uses is pictures.Haswell is extremely valuable as such I wouldn't buy any of the current MBPs. That being said they could axe the 13"...
I have no need for a DVD drive so that I don't care about.It isn't exactly a need to get inside. What is is is a need to be able to access wear parts without becoming a magician.Is it really that difficult to make RAM or even an SSD blade accessible? SSDs actually do wear out something that doesn't really happen on a magnetic drive. If anything SSDs need to be more accessible. Beyond that who ever said 8GB is enough, the industry is ripe with people who thought that...
They already are! Think about what a modern GPU does calculation wise, there is nothing more efficient on the market. This is why many industries have moved to GPU compute. Could they be even better power wise - certainly but nothing beats them now.To look at this from another direction look at AMDs APUs which do amazing well up against Intels best power wise. These days you can't judge a system by CPU performance alone.