or Connect

Posts by wizard69

Interesting that you should ask considering how many AMD engineers Apple has hired lately. However how much these guys can help out depends entirely on why the GPU's are failing. For all we know people could be over clocking them.
Funny isn't it?It will be interesting to see if they can come up with a common failure mode like the NVidia chips had. Frankly I don't think at this point they really know, however this seems to cover a wider array of chips so mostly likely there is more than one thing going on here.
Actually NVidia had a huge problems in MBPs a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the move to AMD was the result of that issue. In NVidias case it was a solder joint failure problem. We don't know what is up with the AMD failures but at this point they don't appear to be even close to what owners of those NVidia powered machine experienced.It will be interesting to see what the root cause is with this stuff. it could be an assembly problem, an AMD...
AppleCare for a MBP is $349, it still isn't a good deal. In fact it is a terrible deal considering it only provide 3 years of warranty protection.
Which is a huge point if you had to ever run the latest versions of Windows. Linux isn't that bad if you GUI expectations are low and you can deal with the limited app environment
For most of us price is always a factor. Value comes into the equation too. Sadly I'm really doubting that the Mini will be around in 2014. Something just tells me Apple has something else up its sleeves.That could be a Mac Pro chassis with scaled down internals or a new box. Of course today that box could be a tube, a torus, a pyramid or something else. The general downturn and then Apples pricing strategy, is having a very negative impact on Apples desktop...
Err actually I think you underestimate just how many people do repair their computers, either DIY or in a shop. It is a large enough market that I know of guys locally making a good living at it.You might have a point if the iMac shipped as a single board machine, but it doesn't. Rather it ships with a power supply and a hard drive a separate items, even the RAM is a separate component. Non of these are easy to get to in the small machine. The hard drive and power...
Stock manipulation and the fact that the markets are full of idiots has nothing to do with Apple. This doesn't harm Apple as much as it harms the reputation of the Wall Street manipulators.Let's face it manipulators are exactly what these people are. They try to influence Apple by getting public support behind them. Thankfully the public is into these sorts of low life's.Ethics in reporting went out of style eight years ago when the media unethically promoted Obama...
A series is still a long ways from pressuring Intel when it comes to suitable chips for the desktop. This is where I'm really hoping that AMD will help out and actually push out a more competitive chip. AMD use to be leverage against Intel, now it is a tougher sell. Haswell, via the Iris GPU, has almost eclipsed AMD so now putting an AMD chip in a Mini is even a hard sell.I'd have to add, the mechanical design. New approaches there might help costs...
It isn't asinine at all to reject a concept. By buying an iMac you promote the concept of disposable, non maintainable, electronics. Nothing logical about that at all. Even Apples Mini is far more accessible that the current crop of iMac as is most of the laptop lineup. That must of took considerable effort on Apples part because the desktop provides far more design freedom that a laptop.Sometime the wise man avoid the temptation of the cheap to stick to things he...