or Connect

Posts by reynard

Thank you for the feedback. I am going to get the One to One. Not for the data transfer; Apple has made that process pretty simple. But I'd like to push myself to try some new things. It would be hard to go wrong for only $99. By the way, I too have been a long time Mac user. I think it was 1989 and a Mac classic. I did some pretty good stuff back in the day. Since, I have kinda fallen into a rut of just doing the basics. Time to get reinvigorate myself with a...
I am going to buy the new 21.5 inch iMac. My only decision left is, From whom do I buy? I was asking myself if I should take this opportunity to buy the Apple One to One membership for a year. I am not a sophisticated user and have thought, at times, it would be nice to be get some one on one help from an expert. I am sure this would help me take advantage of some of the capabilities that I have feared to explore. I am a teacher and would also like to make more...
Hiro, you are obviously well-versed on the topic of EULAs, especially as it relates to software; even more particularly to Apple. So its not illegal in that I should worry about being pulled over while having OSX on my MSI Wind in the passenger seat. But certainly Apple doesn't want me to do it. I must say, the idea of the powerful, elegant OSX on that cute little screen is damn appealing. I can see how a hackintosh community developed so fast. I just grin thinking...
Oh my G-d, (Im too old to say OMG), I just went to the Computer World site and started poking around...there is a whole new world out there on OSX for netbooks. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I think the desire to meld the two--netbook size and OSX--is great. I don't think Apple can offer a netbook for those who are content with just-the-basics machine so its not like Apple fans will have their prayers answered in a few months. I am not trying to bump my...
As long as its not actually illegal, I'll feel free to give "hackintosh" a try. If I get a netbook for $300 or less, I feel I can experiment a bit. If I don't like OSX, or have some trouble with it on a netbook, I can then give GNU/Linux a try. I am hearing good things about Ubuntu. Thank you for your help.
I have been considering a netbook and I have a few questions. I have been reading about them for a while and the idea of having a small, light device to play with while I am watching TV appeals to me. I would want it only for S.E.W.ing (surfing, e-mail, and word processing). By the way, I made that up--SEWing--and I am sure it's cleverness will make its use explode all over the 'net. Anyway, I wanted to avoid XP and was considering GNU/Linux. But then I see...
My feeling (fear?) that the backup process has become more complex over the years is being confirmed. But I'm not going to be intimidated. Thank you, zanshin for giving me some more options and resources. You gave me one important, but crucial, reminder that some backup files should not be stored right next to your computer. Not only fire, but burglary, can rob you of everything. I'll bet that even some of the pro users could benefit from the same reminder. I am...
THank you for your reply and the link. I found a Seagate 300GB external drive for only $134 at buy.com. It's amazing how much prices for storage have gone down in the last year. (How many times has someone said that about technology prices?) On the other side, I have my brother who is rather high up at Seagate who finds the cutthroat competition and price pressure a source of constant anxiety. It's tough out there.
I want to start using an external hard drive as a backup to my iMac G5's hard drive. My needs are humble. I don't do movies, just have a moderate number of songs and photos. I just want a convenient, regular, backup system. (I'll still use optical discs for some folders as extra security) Backup technology has become more complex since I started using a Mac Classic in 1989. It's not just a matter of backing up the documents folder. There are preferences to think of...
Based on advice I have seen here from time to time, I bought a 1 GB from Crucial. Works perfectly. And maybe its just my imagination but even the most mundane tasks seem a wee bit faster, even if I don't have a lot of applications open. I hope you are still following responses to your post because I have some advice that could save you some anguish. You have to push in the RAM module pretty damn hard. True, I'm not a sophisticated user, but I have installed RAM at...