or Connect

Posts by Nightcrawler

It is being reported that behind closed doors the US-administration is negotiating with Suleiman, some opposition-groups and the military to create an interim-government and to force Mubarak to stand down now. It would obviously ease the transition but I don't like the involvement of the US again, maybe it would be better if the egyptians achieved their solutions on their own eventhough it would be harder, longer and bloodier.
The military told the demonstrators to go home, that their demands became known and that they should return to normal life. The dilemma for the demonstrators is that going home with Mubarak still in power could prove fatal, since the secret police would pick up ex-demonstrators at their homes and let them disappear in torture-chambers. It would be wiser to amass the demonstrations more and more until he leaves immediately.
I overheard someone from the egyptian army telling the BBC that like with the assassination of Sadat the second row of the army will solve the crisis, and that then the military will take things over and prepare for democratic elections. Looks like a military coup is being considered and Mubarak and co could end either captured or killed.
Whatever your personal freeminded interpretation of the Quran, you have to admit that conservative Islam views the quranic orderIn the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate"O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...that they should be known and not molested." [sura 33, verse 59] to include a headscarf. In the name of God, the merciful,...
The obligation to wear the headscarf is bound to the age of puberty, 12 years may well be in that range, some girls reach puberty earlier, some later.Indeed, but I didn't expect that level of selfreflection.
It's something a rabid bush-supporter would say, "See, Bush was right all along, by invading and forcing Iraq to embrace democracy, the people in the other arabic states will see how much better Iraq's situation has become, how freedom, selfdetermination... leads to prosperity... so that they would long for the same for their societies..." but the problem with that argument is that Iraq is very far away from enjoying the fruits of its new freedoms, entangled in so many...
Capitalism does not necessarily mean a 100%-private-business-economy, there is another strong force in development like you mentioned here and that is nationalism and the states that use it to do big projects that private initiatives would not stem because they are not profitable in the near future. The space-program is something like this as well as the building of highways.The state and nationalism can work to help the private part of the economy to blossom by doing...
Of course you don't, you made it clear multiple times that you favour the sufi interpretation of Islam.A sufi doesn't believe in hell being a physical punishment, but if it were and you were there sensing the physical reality of everything you interpreted metaphorical or spiritual you wouldn't dare to decide eternal punishment for yourself, and if you did out of pride you would regret it within seconds in hell.But it's not your decision then where you will reside, it's...
Yes, but the difference is the speed and amount of inventions which is unrivalled in all times and the communistic states in the last hundred years did not come forth with many inventions, if any at all.Fair enough, I just thought that maybe you read some books from some visionary economist or philosophist that drew up a new model, I mean there must be somewhere if the change should happen in the next 100 years. The capitalism drew much from Adam Smith's works and...
Nonesense, you can't stamp it out without getting rid of semitic religions altogether. Be it judaism, christianity or Islam, homosexuality is not accepted and will never be. It's all rooted in the story of "Sodom" and "Gommorrah". The only way I see within the religions to interpret it some way to not condemn gay people is to interpret the people of "Sodom" and "Gommorrah" as not being gay but heteros engaging in gay acts, orgies and rapes and therefore transcending their...