or Connect

Posts by Swift

I ran OS 7.5.5 on an old SE/30. It was no problem at all. It was only when the Internet came around that I had to lose the SE/30 because it didn't even have grayscale. I could see some pages in the browser, but any color and I was dead. 
Also, me again, when is a major carrier -- or maybe a municipality? -- put up the Artemis system? Instead of four or five towers costing millions of dollars apiece, you have hundreds of little things the size of stereo speakers on the top of all the tallest building. You receive signals from 3 or 4 transmitters at the same time, and the interference patterns creat "pcells", personalized reception that goes with you. 50,000 people in a stadium could be wathing 50,000...
They all limit bandwidth. My original, Steve-Jobs negotiated AT&T Unlimited plan costs $50 plus financing for the phone. Never seen it slow down, even when I go over 6 or 7 GB a month.
I'm running 8.4. It's pretty ready.
Google AND Android. Yikes. Like their search engine. Not much else.
Yes, you know, if you really want to make a case for slavery, there is support you can find in the Bible. The issue of slavery is why the Southern Baptists split off from the Baptist Church. Later, many preachers were supporters of segregation. They felt there were religious grounds against interracial marriages.    Some religions refuse to treat their sick children with something their religion says is immoral. Or they won't allow blood transfusions, things like that....
We've been over this same ground with integration of public facilities. If a black person comes in to your restaurant, and he has the money, and he's not being loud or screaming profanities -- that's what you could object to, behavior -- the merchant is legally obligated to sell that coke or that meal. Not to do that is discrimination. The baker or florist for a wedding -- that's the thing we're talking about -- are not in the religious part of wedding practices. Wedding...
The Federal law is all about people being able to sue the government when they infringe on your religion, even unintentionally. That's one thing. The Indiana law was new in that it allowed people to contest peoples' claims of discrimination by claiming it's against your religion. If you're really having your religion soiled by baking a cake or selling bouquets, then maybe you should rethink your religion, because you're telling somebody else to behave as though they...
No, it actually is the majority, which accepts gay marriage whether they like it or not.  I think the public looks at what yu guys are doing, and they say, "Cool it. They're just asking for a cake or flowers, this is what you make for everybody else. Make it for everybody." 
It's not "dispelling" anything. Lots of Isaacson's book is okay. But these writers had something he didn't: a firsthand knowledge of Jobs at NeXT on, a real understanding of the industry as a whole, and of course, cooperation and interviews from the people who actually knew him best. It's not Isaacson v. Schlender, it's "in addition to." My reaction so far is that the failure of Jobs in 1986 was his narcissism and jerkishness. He was mostly a different man by 1997. He had...