or Connect

Posts by blackbook

The Retina Mini probably won't replace the current Mini (especially if it's coming out in 3 months as rumored). It will likely be sold in addition to the non-Retina Mini. So no Apple wouldn't be raising the price. They would be adding a more high end option (see: 5G iPod Touch).         Think $329 for the non-Retina and $429 for the Retina, to match the $399 for the non-Retina iPad 2 and $499 for the Retina iPad 4. If Apple has no problem selling Mini's for $329, why...
      Margins
Should I remind you that the iPad 3 was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2?   Is that the technology you want in the Retina Mini?   In order to keep the size and performance Apple will have to employ all new technology. That's why I believe the price is going to be higher than the current model, which has 2 year old internal components.
    Why would Apple give a cheap phone their latest processor?
Yup, now that the iMac is getting on line we'll see double digit growth numbers again.
Probably a bad example but, BMW does the same thing with their cars.   When they remodel a car they change the exterior design but leave the engines untouched and unchanged. Then a couple years after the remodel they refresh the car by upgrading the engines, but keeping the exterior the same. Mercedes-Benz does this as well I believe.   It pretty much means there's always "something new" even though only one thing gets upgraded at a time. It keeps those companies in the...
  I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple will be able to get the margins they want if they price a Retina Mini at $329. The reason the current Mini was able to attain that price point was because it uses 2 year old technology.    A Retina Mini would need all the latest internals that are in the iPad 4 plus newer technology to shave weight and size to accommodate the technology.   That's why I'm 90% sure the Retina Mini is going to cost more than $329. This Spring...
  Apple isn't going to just throw together an iPhone with HD resolution and have all the app developers have to make their apps in another resolution just for the HD iPhone and retain all the other resolutions for previous iPhones still sold.   For Apps, it's best for Apple to just double the resolution so that old apps still workout letter boxing or getting pixelated, and it's easy for developers to modify apps for the increased resolution.   That's why I said...
    This obviously isn't an iPhone discussion, but I've postulated that Apple could double the resolution of the iPhone 5, stretch it onto a 5 inch screen and have a "Super Retina" display of sorts. 2272 x 1280 pixels is still less than the Retina iPad (2.9 million versus 3.1 million) so such a device could use an A6X and be very speedy and relatively efficient.   How does that sound for a Super iPhone (iPhone X or Pro or whatever they would call it). But I would imagine...
    Considering the iPad Mini only cost $70 less than the iPad 2 with the exact same specs. Shouldn't we assume a Retina Mini would cost $70 less than the Retina iPad?   As I said I believe Retina will be reserved for a higher end Mini.   Expect $429 for a Retina Mini with the current low res Mini continuing on at $329.