or Connect

Posts by blackbook

Completely agree.   When the new Touch was announced Apple pretty much put a nail in the "iPad Mini" coffin.   Honestly all the iPods last week released are overpriced. 
  This is true, but I think you're in the minority of people who would buy an iPad Mini for $399.   I think if Apple goes through with the Mini they will try to press the pricing envelope while keeping margins the same as the Touch and iPad, which in my opinion means iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 specs.   It is possible that Apple will make the Mini just another size option for the iPad which would mean it would have the same specs as the iPad3 and probably cost $399 as you...
Have we seen any legitimate leaks for the Mini? All I remember seeing up to this point are "mockups" and "drawings" of what it "might" look like. Anyway if all these are legit, I hope the price isn't higher than $300 as some here have postulated.
      The reason iPods are a bad example is because they are VERY expensive for what you get. the Shuffle cost 3x as much as most 2GB music players with even less of a UI than most and the Nano has always costed 2-3x more than it's competition as well, and we see how expensive the new iPod Touch is...   And what's with the "limited user experience" thing? I'm pretty sure everyone expects the iPad Mini to do everything the big iPad can do for half the price. It's not going...
  According to component cost analysts the non-retina iPad 2 display cost more than TWICE as much as the retina iPhone 5 display. So don't expect savings for the Mini over the Touch because the display is non-retina. The display is still gonna be twice as large!   http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/14/16gb_iphone_5_bill_of_materials_estimated_at_168   http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/09/components_for_4g_lte_ipad_estimated_to_cost_310_netting_apple_51_margins
That's an idea.   But my primary concern is that any iPad Mini will cannibalize Touch and iPad sales. There's no getting around that fact. So in order for the cannibalization NOT to be a negative for Apple, the profit margins of the Mini have to match those of the products its stealing sales from or else Apple's overall margins will drop significantly.   So the Mini need 30-40% margins in order to even make sense for Apple and that may be achievalbe, but we'll see what...
Well those are the same specs as the current entry level iPod Touch and iPhone 4 Apple is still selling, so it seems like a probable expectation especially if we are to expect a sub $300 price.    Problem may come with the fact it has to push around more pixels than the iPod Touch and iPhone 4 do, but the iPad 1 was fine with an A4 chip.   App scaling should be fine considering app icons and most touch points will be the same size they are on the iPhone and iPod Touch if...
Or Apple could drop the price of the iPad 2 to $299 when the iPad 4 comes out next spring...
The fact isnt't that Apple is "unable to make a $299 tablet."   Apple is able to do anything. Its more of a question if they would build a unique brand new product and price it far lower than all their other products.   Google doesn't make a profit on the Nexus 7's hardware at all, Apple on the hand being a hardware company needs to make a profit on their products.   But it's possible for Apple to make a decently affordable Mini with low specs perform well enough. But...
  Exactly.   Only way the price is going to be lower than the new Touch is if there is an "entry level" Mini with an A4 chip, 8GB of storage, and last gen iPod Touch cameras.   The 4th gen Touch with those specs and still cost $199, so I think a Mini with those specs might get a priced of $249 or $299. Mind you those specs would put it far behind the competition...