or Connect

Posts by Commodification

Apple is already using Sharp's LCDs on their iPhones and is rumored to be their secondary supplier for the screens for the new ipad (after Apple's nemesis Samsung). If Apple starts making larger retina screens for TVs and displays for Macs they might announce a much larger investment into Sharp or an outright purchase of them which would give them huge manufacturing abilities they don't have. Sharp is also highly rated for their environmental standards and use of renewable...
Only one I think they would buy (if it ever made any sense) would be Sharp.
Ha!! Tim announces that Apple is buying a well known Japanese TV manufacture.
That is the problem. Apple will always be held back by their suppliers and as Apple sales volume continues to climb up through the stratosphere it becomes increasingly harder for suppliers to innovate and at the same time meet the daily production needs and required high quality demands. The continued production volume to meet Apples needs is going to be signicantly more than any one PC manufacture required at the peak of the PC era.Even HP, M$, IBM, and etc at the peak of...
Even in a 'worst case scenario' if we started to see a plateauing of major technological advancements in the iPhone and iPad, it will only lead Apple down the path of lowering the retail price. As the retail price falls (and with the possible introduction of an iPad mini) more people will be able to afford Apple products and they will only become even more popular with the masses. Sure this will run its course and come to a dead end eventually, but they could milk it...
I think the lack of numerical naming of the new ipad is a sign of that the outward design will not be changing much in the near future. Giving each new generation a new number is great when it shows significant outward cosmetic differences (iphone, iphone 3G, iphone 4) , but if the product is going to look visually the same for many years it's better to get rid of the number. For a while imacs were often referred as the imac G3, imac G4 , imac core-duo when each generation...
So I guess we won't be seeing Apple heading towards 3D screens anytime soon. I don't think most people want to reduce their screen's resolution for 3D.
Fake but rad, and pretty close to the truth Now only if there was a Mordor ave. in Cupertino and that it didn't look so much like the Shire.
I can't help but think of Apple's amazing 1984 Mac ad and get the feeling that when Apple start's making large flat screen HDTV's the Yin would have finally became the Yang. Sometimes in order to defeat the monster you become the monster yourself. While I do believe that Apple is still an honorable company that makes incredible products, there is no guarantee that will always be the case. With their inherent (vertical) controlling and secretive structure, if they one...
It's not that Apple (who was once the underdog) defeated Goliath, Apple has now become Goliath themselves. Now I will say that this Goliath is still making great products and services unlike the Goliath of the PC era, but it is becoming a monster and eventually this is going to end badly (like it always does). So what scrappy new underdog could one day defeat the new giant that goes by the name 'Apple'? Will this defeat only occur when we enter the...