or Connect

Posts by Dr.Bimane

Hey everyone. I was thinking of perhaps upgrading my old G4 400 Mhz machine with one of the new Powerlogix Dual 1.2 Ghz 7447A upgrade cards. Good idea? Bad idea? Is Powerlogix pretty good? Is Sonnet or another company better? I am sold on the dual processor idea because I have actually used a dual 1.0 Ghz G4 (not upgraded) and it seems pretty damn fast - even to this day. I think the dual processor really makes a difference especially with multiple programs...
I think that the best reason for Apple to go to Intel chips (or any x86 architecture, for that matter) is the software possibilities. Let's face it....Virtual PC stinks and now that Microsoft owns it, it will likely become non-existant. However, if Apple moved to x86 architecture, then the emulation becomes much better. For example, Linux users can run a program called Win-for-Lin (or something like that) that runs windows program at nearly identical speeds as...
Hmmmm....I will chime in with my $0.02. Let me preface this by saying that my slant will be that from the perspective of a scientist. I spend a lot of time reading papers (.pdf format) or going to talks to watch .ppt presentations. I like to draw on the papers that I read - underline, circle things, make comments in the margins. I have many, many .pdf files on my laptop but I have to print them out to effectively read them. This could be facilitated with some sort of...
Apple cannot sit back and marvel at its greatness. That is what it did in the '80's with Microsoft and all of us know how that ended up. The iPod is great. Yes. But, it must continue to improve and evolve. Maybe this thing from Sony will get Apple to drop prices on the iPod and continue to improve it. -Dr. Bimane
Check out pictures of it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07...ny_hd_walkman/ It looks pretty cool. However, I did not realize that it could not play mp3s. It is a proprietary format. That will hurt Sony...I agree. -Dr. Bimane
Hey everyone, I don't know if anyone is talking about this already but what is Apple's plan for its next generation iPod? Check out this article touting Sony's new "iPod killer": http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/01/tech...reut/index.htm It supposedly has a 30 hour battery life and some sort of compression software that lets a 20 gig hardrive hold 13,000 songs. Also, it is $100 less than Apple's top of the line iPod. Any thoughts? -Dr. Bimane
Missing software? Sigma Plot (the best data analysis software package I can think of). WebLab Viewer Pro (a .pdb viewer for looking at protein structures). Sculpt (another .pdb viewer for looking at biological molecules) Numerous software packages that run confocol microscopes, imaging systems, laser systems, fluorsescenc equipment, patch clamp rigs.....etc. They are all made to run Windows because they can bundle cheap computers to run the equipment. They...
Apple fans are so funny. Everything is always "wait until X comes out"; substitute your favorite pipedream product in for X. For example, we always heard "Wait until the G5 comes out. We will blow Intel away with it." Then the G5 came and we barely caught up with Intel. Then it was, "Oh, just wait until Jaguar is optimized for the G5. It will scream." Then, Jaguar came and went and we made no huge leaps in speed (just modest ones). Now, it is "Wait until Tiger...
Wow, totally underwhelming and very disappointing. I guess this just proves that IBM IS no better than Motorola. Perhaps Apple is in the wrong chip camp? It has been a full year with these G5 chips and the best IBM can do is .5 Ghz and it is not even shipping yet. Shipping in July? My ass.....shipping in July is pathetic enough but we all know it won't ship until September. That makes me laugh. Apple never changes. Apple should NOT promise what they can't...
I think the best and newest technology out there today is laptop/tablet hybrids......and Apple missed the boat on that. Those things are great and I think they are the future of mobile computing. -Dr.Bimane