or Connect

Posts by Dr.Bimane

I really have nothing to bring to the table except my opinion......but, if Apple does not announce 3.0 Gig G5s, like Jobs promised last year, the shit should (and likely will) hit the fan. Apple has been underdelivering for years with Moto and then finally, when they promise and in fact, guarantee certain performance marks, they better deliver on it. People can say "not Apple's fault..." and "IBM hit unexpected problems with the 90 nm process" all they want....blah...
Hey everyone, This guy I chat with online used to date this girl whose ex-boyfriend is the cousin of this guy who once got a ticket from a cop whose son used to be in Steve's 4th grade computer class. Anyway, they still communicate daily over iChat and Steve tells him all of Apple's upcoming hardware plans. The word is: Dual 3 Gig Powerbook G5 next week! Apple Laptop/Tablet Hybrid on April 29! We should all be excited! -Dr.Bimane
I still say that Apple should make a tablet/laptop hybrid like the Gateway machines.....those things are sweet. They are the best of both worlds....laptops with the ability to input with a pen and use the tablet features. I really think that this may be the wave of the future....well, at least for scientists.....my boss has gotten one and says he will never go back. They are perfect for reading and editing papers and powerpoint presentations.....or for sketching out...
Amorph, I absolutely agree with you. Being the first is not nearly as important as the best or most useable. Great analogy with the iPod, BTW. Your post brings me back to my first post.....how can the Gateway machine be improved upon? What is missing from this machine to make it useable? What does Apple (or anyone) need to do to really make the hybrid or the tablet take off? Opinions, anyone? -Dr. Bimane
Hey MCQ, We had the same thought about Apple and their claims to be the first! I know you could hook up all that extra stuff, but it would be so nice to have it all in one little machine. Thus, you wouldn't have to worry whether or not the room you are giving the presentation in has all that AV equipment. Self-sufficiency is key! -Dr. Bimane
Hmm.....I know....I know...the Newton.....I have heard so much about the Newton but never actually used one or seen anyone use one. I guess it kicked serious ass but Jobs never liked it. It is so funny because my friend who bought the Gateway hybrid was telling me that he thinks if Apple ever comes out with a tablet they would say, "the first ever USEABLE tablet".......or some such Apple-like qualifier....... Perhaps we will see "the first insanely-great tablet"........
Hah! I think I may start another thread on this topic but I have to make sure no one has a similar thead else I might be chastised for creating a new one... Well, I will keep you posted as to whether or not my friend likes his Gateway and how well it functions and how much he uses it. But I tell you this, as an Apple fan and a Macintosh user, I will be more than slightly embarrassed if Apple comes out with a hybrid or tablet (or similar concept) in the new future...
Kickaha, Thanks for the reply. Interesting points.....but, I think this Gateway hybrid only weighs about 5 lbs, right? This is less than the 5.4 lb powerbooks which, to me, really does not weigh that much..... What use does a hybrid have? Well....... Imagine giving a powerpoint presentation or a lecture to students but being able to write on the computer and circle items and have it appear on the screen....or draw on existing figures or tables...... I think...
If you guys had taken the time to actually read my entire post instead of going aggro, you would have noticed that at least half my post was concerning people's thoughts about the Gateway product specifically and how this product can be improved upon - not just whether or not Apple will produce a generic tablet. Simmer down and take a deep breath before you spew out aggressive attitude. -Dr. Bimane
Have you guys seen the laptop-tablet hybrid computer from Gateway..(the M275 series)....? What do you think about this product? I actually wish Apple had come out with this product. Honestly, I feel that this is the first piece of innovation to come from the Wintel side in quite a while. I think Apple may have missed the boat on this one. Any thoughts on whether we will see this type of product from Apple and whether or not Apple can improve on what is all...