or Connect

Posts by Dr.Bimane

Hello everyone. I am running Panther and I have an external SCSI La Cie CD burner (I have a SCSI PCI card)...... ....can I use this burner in OSX? I have not been able to get it to work. It works fine if I boot into OS 9....but no luck in X....any ideas? Is it just not supported? Thanks, -Dr. Bimane
Hello everyone. I have a longtime friend who programs for the OS X Finder Team at Apple and he gave me a copy of Panther this past weekend. I don't have any performance numbers or benchmarks but let me just say that I am impressed with the "zippy" feel of the new OS. Everything responds faster and feels faster. This is a subjective statement but I can definitely tell the difference. I am pretty difficult to please when it comes to the response time on OS X...
Hey Amorph (and anyone else), Did you ever see the video that someone (I think on here) posted a while back of a ficticious Apple tablet that he created in Maya and called iNexus? I thought that it was a phenomenal "commercial" and a great product idea. I still have the video so I could upload or send it to someone to post if people want to see it. If you did see it, what do you think of his tablet design? -Dr. Bimane
Hey, thanks for the input. You got a Gigadesign card? Why did you choose that over Powerlogix? Any specific reason? Thanks, -Dr. Bimane
Greetings Everyone, I wanted some advice on purchasing an upgrade card. I have the 400 MHz Sawtooth (PC100) G4 tower and was thinking of upgrading. I am debating between a single processor or a dual processor. I want this baby to last me for a while so I was thinking that dual was the way to go. However, I also don't want to dump too much more money into it. I was thinking of the Powerlogix single processor 1.4 GHz upgrade which is about $470. I wanted to see...
Hello everyone. I have a 400 Mhz AGP G4 Tower that I am thinking of upgrading with a Powerlogix card......maybe to 1.2 GHz for about $400. I think the computer has a 16 MB Video Card in it (stock from Apple - can't remember exactly what it is, RAGE128 Pro maybe?). I was thinking that maybe I should dump a little more money into it and upgrade the video card as well. Any advice on what card I should get? Do I have to worry with compatability issues? Any advice...
G5 powerbooks on Tuesday....hmmm.... That would be very cool. I find it hard to believe, however, with the new Moto chips supposedly ready. Thinking like Apple, it would seem more reasonable to squeeze more life out of the G4 this time around saving the G5 for the powerbook when IBM can get to 90 nm (maybe in between Jan.-March). That seems more Apple-like to me.... But, it would be quite a surprise and would fulfill the "year of the laptop" proclamation if it...
Thanks, Amorph. Both of your responses were very informative. -Dr. Bimane
Hello everyone. Thanks for the responses. I have not used a G5. I just have a hunch (obviously, I am not being scientific here but stringing together years of observations) since things don't seem to be adding up. See if this is not deja vu: Apple makes bold remarks about how the G5 is the world's fastest computer but then they can fall back on the comfort of things "not being optimized" or "wait for 64 bit support"....and now panther won't be fully 64 bit...
Greetings everyone, I have been reading this site for a number of years and finally decided to start posting. I am a big Apple fan and have been since my first purchase of an Apple IIgs back in 1988. However, I use Windows machines daily but would never purchase one with my own money. I am excited for the new G5 machines and think that they are great for Apple but I don't think they are quite as fast as everyone thinks. It seems to me that they will put us on par...