or Connect

Posts by The Mactivist

So I came home for lunch and installed it. It has fixed the problem completely. Very quiet now. YAY! tM
Hi, I have the same problem. Apparently downloading something called CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Development) Tools can help. It installs a control panel called Hardware which lets you turn off processor napping. This apparently fixes the problem. I haven't tried it yet tho. Will report back later. I found this at: http://discussions.info.apple.com/We....0@.599a1932/7 The link to the tools...
Well. I live in Canada, in Ontario, and pretty much no retail store has them in stock (I've tried all the major ones). Most have had a few come in for pre-orders and I just happened to snag one that was marked for someone else (the Store owner said it was a regular customer and he didn't need it right away). So, they are shipping to retail stores, but in small quantities for the time being.
Well, I can't give you a scientific explanation about g4 vs g5, but I can give you a totally subjective one. I use a dual G4 533 at work. I used to think it was ok. Now that I have a dual G5 2Ghz at home, I can tell you, it's bloody way faster. Here are somethings I've noticed: 1) Boot time is halved or more. It really just springs to life from startup. 2) Disk speeds is measureably 30% faster. 3) Applications zing to life. 4) I get absolutely no lag when...
I heard it is samsung. Anyone know for sure? I'm wondering because my girlfriend is buying us a Cinema Display for our honking new Dual G5, but I'd like to hook up a smaller, 15" lcd just for bins and pallettes and what not. I want something that is a good quality, but not interested in paying the apple premium for a secondary monitor. Any suggestions on good, affordable LCDS? thanks! tM
I don't buy this ramping up production stuff. I think personally (based on nothing but speculation) that they likely have the next speed bumps ready and are sitting on it for economic reasons - IE - new chip, tonnes of people going to upgrade right now, let's take advantage of that. I don't imagine it costs IBM any more to make a 2.5Ghz chip over a 2gig. So, milk each mini-bump. My prediction: January: 1.8Ghz low end. 2 Ghz middle 2.4 or 2.5 dual as the high. June...
Oh baby. I think this is the biggest leap in speed and performance EVER in Apple's history. This dwarfs the G4 vs G3 or the 040 vs powerpc. this is a whole new level. I am completely excited. i MAY wait for a dual 2.5, but we'll see. I'm buying a new system mainly for After Effects, Photoshop and Final Cut. Ever single complaint about the G4 i've ever had has been addressed: bus too slow? fixed. Processor slow? fixed. RAM strangled? fixed. Front access to...
I'm guessing it's a fake because: 1) the kerning (spacing between the letters) is not perfect. Apple is very picky with it's product layout. 2) The cover shot of the box, where it's a bit washed out from a 'flash' or something - the shading looks photoshopped. Actually, the whole thing looks photoshopped.
ooh oooh. It's going to be a VERY long 4 weeks.... _ <--- drool
Well, sure, but when you have a monopoly on a product, forcing your competitors to maintain the same prices across the board is, in some respects, acting like a trust. Gas stations, CD music manufacturers - they both do it and have been sued for it. Actually, Apple was sued for this very thing in Japan. I guess my only point here is that it would be nice if there were some competition in prices for Macs. It would make things cheaper for us, which is good. I'm still...