or Connect

Posts by SchnellFowVay

Some of you guys are waaayyyy toooo harsh on Balmer. Was he a maniac? Of course. But so was Steve Jobs, in a much more private, reserved sort of way. Most successful people are in one way or another. Balmer also led MS through a sustained period of unheard-of profitability in MS's market-dominating segments. From an investor's standpoint (i.e. company owners'), Balmer wasn't too shabby. Obviously, he has routinely dropped the ball on the media and tablet fronts. ...
 I am a tax attorney, and I can verify that some states charge sales tax on the full contract price. It only makes sense. Otherwise, the rest of the price goes untaxed and it creates a strong incentive to sell things under financing contract.For example, California and Nevada operate in this manner. So even though your iPhone 5 costs you $199, you pay sales tax on the entire $550 price of the phone, the same way you would if you had just purchased the handset without a...
  I think everyone in here understands that (or they do now).   But I guess the bigger question that I was raising was simply, "what's the point?"   I have never heard a professional say the Mac Pro was too large.  What is great about a small cylinder shape that it outweights the annoyance of having a gazillion external drives and cables?   Maybe if this thing was a true revolution in performance I might be more inclined to say, "yeah, it's worth it."  But it's going to...
I love how (predictably) the comments on this thing are split between people who love it and think it's perfect, and people who hate it and think it's a disaster.    The reality is that it's probably going to land somewhere in between.   My personal preference would have been a more standard PC-Style box with easy upgradeability.  But I can that this appears to be a marvel of packaging, etc.  I can respect that.   I also expect Apple to release some sort of...
The absolute deal break from my perspective is the lack of lightning connector.   This means that I have to remove the phone from the case at the office to dock the phone on my speakers, in the car to sync the phone with my stereo, and at home to plug the phone into my home theater's dock.   Why, oh why, can't mophie just use a lightning connector at the bottom?
I have read some ridiculous crap on this website before, but this may take the cake.   Apple stock has imploded as a percentage versus the rest of the S&P500.  A change in capital gains rates should affect all stock equally.   This is really just humiliatingly stupid.   I am a tax attorney, btw, so unlike most of my posts, I am somewhat qualified to comment here.
  You are being intentionally obtuse.   A dedicated GPU certainly would help offload some work from the CPU when using the retina display and a high-res second monitor.   And it is sort of irrelevant that certain professions don't require a GPU. MANY computing-based profession DO require a GPU.  The level of apologism in your analysis is shocking.  Apple Macbook Pros have traditionally been the gold standard with respect to video-editing and many other areas that are...
    This is kind of misleading. First off, having a dedicated GPU would seem even more important with a retina display -- pushing 3k+ pixels isn't easy.  But a number of professionals also use an external second monitor, which is also heavily benefited by a dedicated GPU.   This is a pro model.  I was generally ok with it when the MB Air had soldered ram, etc.  That is the line for individuals who are more casual users.   Clearly the standard MBP line is a stop-gap that...
  Umm.  I am 99% that my wife's non-3G First-Gen iPad has a GPS locator in it.  In fact, I am looking at its location now on iCloud's find my device feature.
  This.  This is 100% accurate.   This site is really starting to become unbelievable.  Does anyone who works here even have a journalism degree?   It is VERY, VERY un-Apple-like to release a product (Maps) that is, by all measures, a downgrade in useability from the previous version.  No one is saying that it ruins the iPhone 5.  However, it is a significant newsworthy issue.