or Connect

Posts by retiarius

I'm matching and raising Eric Schmidt's largesse ... In honor of Mr. Schmidt's commitment to Apple by investing his own money to show such confidence, spending at least 0.02% of his net worth on AAPL shares at market price, I will pledge a purchase of at least one more AAPL share, possibly two, within days, perhaps as early as tomorrow.
... now possible not only for the newer 30/80GB units, but for the old ones too. The version 1.2 firmware for my 60GB iPod bears this out. I.e. running the QT Pro "export to iPod" on large-format material now yields full-rez, non-transcoded 640x480 H.264 (for widescreen it's 640x360), not just for iTunes but for TV display as well. Although my limited tests were with an RCA connector to an old analog TV, the 480p appears to be preserved, so it seems we have a...
Downloading films at 480p ... It appears now that to match Amazon "Unbox" (1.2 GB per hour of download), Apple should be doing 852x480p using H.264. Seeing that most encodings at the QuickTime HD Gallery for 480p use 2.7-2.8 Mbps, this is also 1.2-1.3GB per hour. Both services will have to educate folks that this is not an "instant on" endeavor using the typical 1.5 Mbps DSL/cable rates.
apple's quicktime HD gallery exhibits 852x480p content: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide...endations.html so they've already warped that definition to encompass something less than 720p. the current iPod already does 640x360 to TV, when encoded with MPEG4. i guess they can cheat further by having non-square pixels, say 480p stretched anamorphically. anything less than 480p is unsatisfying when rescaled to 1920x1080p, the burgeoning living room...
Disbelieving also that WWDC would be the venue to entertain this fantasy (movie rental announcement), nevertheless the technology to pull it off would be intriguing. Using the 1.5CB-per-movie encoding stats cited by QuickTime executive Frank Cassanova (matching 480p standard definition using H.264), this would have to be a kiosk -> iPod maneuver for rentals, rather than downloads. Lots more traffic to Best Buy, Blockbuster, or Apple stores for upselling...
what is the worst case here? if the dates are reset (to 10 days later) to unwind any fraud, that would be a dozen million shares or so (sjobs 20M was rescinded), with say, $5 per share edge, or $60M. this doesn't seem material to earnings. however, is there some sort of treble damages to SEC if this is proven? does any recovery (whether or not there is legal indemnification for board members) distribute evenly to shareholders? my guess is that, as usual,...
also, the padding is to help handle complaints and/or the higher return rate from whiners who demand that the inevitable scratches be only as visible as with white units. reflection physics at work...
Apple kernel futures are intriguing -- is this a good forum for such? If, indeed, Mach is currently best for multimedia on a client, but some other Unix variant is better for servers, it would be nice to know how Apple envisions how they want to play in these markets. E. g, Sun's Solaris seems to have the right combination of server chops and licensing (whereby you can keep the Apple secret sauce layers proprietary). The entreaty by Apple to jam ZFS in there somwhere is...
exactly -- 480P is more SD than HD. apple is now defining "wide SD" as HD, which is tacky. they should have been content to label the supersized choice "widescreen". are we about to witness a collision of the digital TV and computer world, where each industry has their own snake oil to win over consumers? still waiting for that 42" 1920x1080 LCD TV (with DVI/HDMI/UDI inputs) from apple.
Was the spare white background Errol-Morris-style series, complete with tinkly music, done by Morris himself, or did he leave the scene after the last effort was cancelled? I would have loved to see his Ames room shots... Also, it seems odd that Apple is hijacking the term 'HD' to mean 848x480 -- even for (HD)TV, that usually is either 720p or 1080i (which is 540p with trick play). If they think any wide aspect ratio 480p should be termed HD, this could give...