or Connect

Posts by retiarius

here is an ancient cubist-symbolism-laden quicktime collage, done long before iApps came to the fore -- i don't remember if this is sorenson codec #1 or #2 ...http://homepage.mac.com/retiarius/kube.mov
however, for a corporate headquarters, compared to san francisco, new york, london, rome, paris, etc. cupertino has no taste! why the seemingly contrived loyalty to this backwater burb?
Because this is what the Apple investor relations department will tell you, as they did me, if you call to confirm -- apparently the share settlement provisions are all in the 10Q, not the SEC Form 4 made public last week. As for taxes, they verified that taxes started accruing on the whole 10M wad the day they vested this month. Of course, if you already have funds to put aside for the 35% fed and 10.3% state rates, the money *can* be used for other purposes. It's...
shouldn't this be kicking into gear about now?
much agree with your observation that elgato makes good stuff -- i happily own the eyetv 500 and am surprised apple hasn't acquired them. it's unfortunate that the least cost HD-grade living room mac HTPC needs a dual G5, an elgato box, + something like a westinghouse 37"/42" 1080p monitor. it'd be neat if apple made all the parts, but i'll settle for the least technically challenging solution for apple to pull it off -- software-enabling a bluetooth-pod to...
the mac mini, for 480p content, (from dvd, the ivideo store, or wherever) *already* serves as both the set top box and the airport AV express. it has the storage, the digital TV outputs, the QT decoders, the wireless. all it needs is a bluetooth-enabled ipod to control it. the standard complaint is it can't do 720p HD yet. when hollywood & bollywood are ready for HD so will apple.
there is a wide spectrum of ipods that can enable video: - a "roachmotel" type of unit that only allows PSP-level (272p) or denser (480p with more decoder and/or screen heroics) with no external display connection to please hollywood. - ditto with poor (analog-only S-video) connectivity. - one with a bluetooth addon which only controls an imac mini or other mac that does the actual hosting and vga/dvi output to a viewing room display. - embedded...
sparing a full-quotation-reply-to-self, the easiest way for apple to satisfy all the constraints for: - apple video download store - ipod-as-video display/storage unit + remote_control - digital feed to (hd)tv is for any new ipod to do 802.11g rather than dvi/hdmi-output, and have the mac mini rather than the ipod do the tv interface. if the nintendo ds at $100-$150 for display + wireless can do it, so can ipod. unfortunately, this implies...
the apple brand has given us high quality digital audio via the ipod. as for video, the ipod photo dock with S-video out has been a non-starter for those 2-8 megapixel digital photos everyone owns. for apple to debut MTV-like lowrez 480p video on a device with analog out would be a step backwards, besmirching the brand known for higher quality multimedia. yet 720p or better video via DVI/HDMI from an ipod, from both CPU-intensive and power consumption...