or Connect

Posts by retiarius

There's only so much fat a vegan/pescatarean personal chef can sneak into a diet. 100% cocoa fat chocolate chip cookies? Beer-battered catfish fried in peanut oil? Sturgeon egg sushi? Or are we talking an around-the-clock emergency regimen of whale blubber, washed down with avocado smoothies?
Can you translate your experiments from fuzzy "bars" to the -dbm settings using the field test number (*3001#12345#*) oft-mentioned here? Even these decibel readings are sensitive to the way a cellphone is held (10 - 15 decibels worse when holding the iPhone [or other 3g phones as well] "normally" rather than in a hands-off or pinch grip). If a baseband modem firmware fix can add 20 db to 3g reception with *no* associated network changes, someone must have seriously...
Regarding "fixed in the next (baseband modem) firmware update", if developers know about this, and generally good sources like P. Burrows of Business Week and the Wall St. Journal were tipped to this, shouldn't Apple at least whisper to the Genius Bar techs that they should mumble about the fix, rather than needlessly swapping out "bad units" for new ones? I'm amazed at the number of posters to the Apple discussion fora (generally from big cities with a patchwork of 3G...
>Surely, there is a difference in the two disclosures? If the information is revealed to shareholders, >they can and will trade on it. Mr. Nocera cannot. Is he a section 16(b) insider? Does NYT use blind trusts for reporter holdings? Beats me, but all parties have told the (pretextual) truth. For WWDC, Steve may have had a flu or cold, just as Apple PR said. For reporters taken aside, he had followup (exploratory?) surgery, not revealed via official Apple PR. ...
This is pure Steve, to Joe Nocera, business reporter/feces disturber at NYT, in an after-hours byline: "On Thursday afternoon, several hours after I’d gotten my final “Steve’s health is a private matter” — and much to my amazement — Mr. Jobs called me. “This is Steve Jobs,” he began. “You think I’m an arrogant [expletive] who thinks he’s above the law, and I think you’re a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong.” After that rather arresting opening, he went on...
... after a bout with pancreatic cancer. With humble respect, for those who don't understand the difference between benign and malignant, please consult: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1216...s_inside_today
That 38% number is striking, or 380,000 potential units to immediately unload on eBay. Do early 3G adopters with original iPhones really think the originals are that bad to impulsively move over to a more expensive plan before the two-year period runs out? Maybe these are the type of folk who trade in a new car for another new one every couple years ... Or, perhaps a good portion are the post-May 27 purchases which trade up for a minimal cost. At any rate,...
I'll date myself by saying I have code in several BSD/GNU Unix utilities still sitting around /usr/bin on all shipping Macs -- one is 25 years old, one is 24, and one is 18 (though derived from a 22-year-old effort.) It's amazing that anyone would still use this stuff, let alone want to fix known bugs therein. Nonetheless, it was big fun to show my much younger kids my name in the copyright credits on every iPhone/iPod touch and AppleTV though!Because non-kernel code is...
oops, meant "say on pay". other points have now been noted in prince's rewrite.
One BOD member in attendance you didn't note was Art Levinson, CEO of Genentech who is also on the compensation committee. You confused retail commentary as being from Drexler, when it was from Ron Johnson. Aside from the passage of the "pay for play" ammendment being the main news event of the day (many reporters were scribbling notes furiously when talking to the sponsor after the meeting), I agree that the last "ship leaks from the top" comment from Jobs was...