or Connect

Posts by Loren Petrich

[quote]Originally posted by Chucker: WINE is an implementation of the Win32 APIs for Linux/x86.
And other Unix-like OSes that run on x86 hardware. Check under "CPU Emulation" in the WINE status page. The only work on OSX-native WINE done so far has been on Winelib, which is for linking to Windows apps compiled as Linux, etc. apps. Thus, one can compile a Windows...
First, I think that M$'s acquisition of VPC was on friendlier terms than Sony's acquisition of Virtual GameStation. So I don't expect M$ to try to bury the MacOS version of it, as Sony has with VGS. That being said, I think it necessary to prepare for the possibility of VPC getting buried. What alternatives are there? The main commercial competitors to VPC have been RealPC and SoftWindows, which FWB is exploring the revival...
My computer's headphone output just conked out, so I'm looking for some USB headphones or some USB-to-analog adapters. I've found some USB headphones for sale in various places, but they are usually advertised as being for 'Doze or MacOS 9. What concerns me is that they may require installation of some OSX drivers in order to work; several of them are advertised as working with 'Doze or MacOS 9. Or can I reasonably expect some USB headphone set to work right out of the...
That's one thing that sometimes comes up. I think that it would be nice if Apple would open-source at least some of its cast-off software, so all that effort does not go to waste, and to allow interested volunteers to support legacy software. I would have appreciated it if Apple had open-sourced QuickDraw 3D. But Quesa duplicates most of QD3D's functionality. However, there are lots of possible reasons why that has not...
Someone in a related thread had asked how Apple could keep Macs from booting MacOS 9 without modifying the hardware. There are alternative ways, like: Not updating MacOS 9 to support the new hardware, so that the only way it can run is as Classic, with MacOS X handling hardware details. Skipping MacOS-9 support in the new Macs' firmware, so that they are unable to boot MacOS 9.
I wonder if anyone has worked on a Glide wrapper for MacOS X. This would emulate the old 3dfx api Glide by translating Glide calls into corresponding OpenGL calls; there are several of these available for Windows and Linux. But there is only one that I know of for the MacOS, and that is an old one that someone at Omni had written for Rhapsody. A Glide wrapper would run inside of Classic, since every Glide-using game I've ever heard of is pre-OSX. However, it may...
One rumor reported at some of the rumor sites (spymac, thinksecret, etc.) is that when OSX 10.3 is released, Apple will no longer support bootable OS9 -- from then on, it will only run as OSX Classic. This release is codenamed "Pinot", suggesting a codename shift from big cats to fancy wines. A plus is that it would simplify Classic support, since Apple no longer has to worry about making it work on new hardware. That would also press software companies to come up with...
I'd like to speak up as someone else who isn't bothered by bouncing icons -- I find that feature rather cute -- and a good way of indicating that something needs attention. But I don't object to seeing alternatives -- I'm not going to complain if some develper comes up with some nice alternative such as a suitable animated icon.
I'm sure that someone else has noticed this, but I've noticed this trend in codenames for MacOS X development builds: X.0 - Cheetah X.1 - Puma X.2 - Jaguar So are there more kinds of big cats in Apple's codename future? Bobcats, lynxes, ocelots, lions, tigers, leopards, panthers, ...
Due to the recent bankruptcy of Excite@Home, I now have cable-modem service directly though AT&T Broadband Internet. This means that my old static IP address is no more and that I must use DHCP. I run MacOS X 10.1, my cable modem connects through the Ethernet port, and I live in Livermore, CA; this might help in working out how repeatable my troubles are. This has the difficulty that my network connection every now and then goes dead and that I must restart it. At first,...