or Connect

Posts by macshark

Sony buying Apple is quite unlikely at this point. Apple's market cap is $9.9B and Sony's market cap is $38.7B. Apple will be a very big acquisition for Sony. Sony as about $10B in cash and $12B in debt, so this would almost have to be a stock-for-stock type of acquisition. Sony would have to pay a huge premium for Apple shares to compensate for the fact that Sony stockprice will decline after the announcement of the deal. Given it's strong cash position, no debt and Steve...
When my iPod (dock connector with 2.1 s/w) is in the cradle, when the system wakes up from sleep, iPod is not mounted on desktop and not recognized by iTunes (4.1). I did not have this problem previously with Jaguar and iTunes 4.0. Sometimes, iTunes will crash as a result of this. Also, the iPod needs to be reset to come out of a weird state. At least once, the whole system crashed, i.e. Panther would not let me log out or shut the system down. AddressBook crashed in a...
For the next iMac: 3 USB 2.0 ports are simpy not enough. One is used up by the keyboard (unless you have the Bluetooth keyboard, of course), one for the printer, one for scanner. Still need at least two more ports - one for the PDA, one for the Digital Camera. One of the biggest selling points of the iMac is simplifying the setup and reducing the cable mess on user's desk. Having to use a USB hub kind of defeats this argument. One option would be to increase the...
It is a distinct possibility that the latest generation of iMacs are using the 7447 processor with 256KB of L2 cache (the other 256KB of the 512KB total disabled). If Motorola was having yield issues with the larger L2 cache on the 74x7 processors in their new 90nm process, disabling portions of cache with defects and using these chips in iMacs would have been a possible short term workaround problem. I have one of the new 17" iMacs and it is generating surprisingly...
I agree. The PC card format is somewhat passe at this point, but having a CompactFlash and/or SD slot in every new Mac would have been extremely convenient and would add very minimal to the cost of these systems.
Replacement of hard disk drives with some type of solid state semiconductor technology in the long term is likely. However, SRAM is probably not the right component. Hard disk is a non-volatile storage element, when it is powered down, it still keeps the information that was stored on it. You can build virtually non-volatile storage elements using SRAM and battery back-up, but this will have limited applications. Flash is a memory technology which is much better suited...