or Connect

Posts by KPOM

Unrealistic. Joint CEO situations rarely work out well (e.g. BlackBerry, and to a lesser extent Samsung, though in the latter they are really 3 separate businesses). If a CEO "retires" but stays on, it's usually as a non-executive chairman focusing on strategy while the new CEO focuses on operations. Chances are Ahrendts will stay in her current role for the foreseeable future since she's still relatively new. If she is going to be groomed as a future CEO Apple will fold...
Burberry is a place where you can spend $120 on an umbrella. It isn't cheap by any stretch. But my dad bought my mom a number of birthday/Christmas/anniversary gifts over the years. After his third purchase or so the store manager got to know him and my mom well enough to predict what another good gift would be. I'd describe my family as upper middle class, perhaps lower upper class, but practical. We don't throw money away but aren't afraid of spending a little more to...
On top of that, she was a CEO who tripled the value of her company in 7 years. Cook has doubled his in just under 4 years (including his tenure as "interim" CEO). I wonder if Cook and Ahrendts have a running bet on whether he can top her percentage. 😄
 I can't remember where, but I thought I had read that in one of the interviews of Cook or Ive from a year or so ago. My sense is that he likes being head designer, but doesn't believe he has the skills to be a CEO. He's a design genius, but geniuses don't always make good CEOs. Heck, Steve Jobs wasn't particularly good at running a company at first. In his current role, Ive doesn't need to worry about operations and probably not so much about engineering (except when they...
She didn't turn the company around by hiring better sales associates in the stores. When she took over, the brand had negative associations as a result of cheap knockoffs. She rebuilt the brand's image and re-established relationships within the fashion industry. Apple doesn't need help selling iPhones, Macs, or iPads in their stores. However, they are launching a new line of wearables that they plan to market as fashion accessories. So in that respect, they are selling...
I think they are sold in white boxes with black lettering in Aisle 12 next to the pet food.
 If something were to happen to Tim Cook (e.g. health issues) in the near term, I think it would be Cue or Schiller, at least in the interim. However, if Ahrendts is successful at revamping the stores, and promoting the Apple Watch (and perhaps other wearables) she may well be in the running eventually once she's more ingrained into the corporate culture. Unlike Cue, Schiller, or anyone else at Apple not named Tim Cook, Ahrendts has actually been a CEO of a successful...
Ahrendts is anything but a generic executive. She completely rejuvenated the Burberry brand and turned the company around.
 That's probably one of the areas she is going to tackle.
 I don't see Ahrendts making the same mistake as Johnson. Johnson's problem is that he forgot he was returning to the world of mid-market retail, where every one of his competitors slaps ridiculous MSRPs only to have constant rotating "40% off" sales. He tried selling everything at a lower price year-round without discounting, sort of like how everything at Apple stores sells at MSRP. It turns out that people buying clothing and home goods would rather go to Macy's or...