or Connect

Posts by KPOM

It's like the original MacBook Air (which was the first Mac I ever purchased for myself and one that I'll never regret, even though I got the second generation less than year later). It's not quite ready to replace the current MacBook Air, just as the MBA wasn't quite ready to replace the original MacBook until October 2010, but it is time for it to be released. I'm sure I'm going to love it. After more than 5 years of using a MacBook Air I switched to the rMBP in 2013. I...
 Conceptually, it's not much different from the original MacBook Air. Right now it is a niche device, and so exists alongside the current MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines (just as the original Air existed alongside the then-current MacBook and MacBook Pro lines). Eventually, once USB Type C becomes more common, and Intel improves the GPU in the 4.5W chips, we'll probably see the MacBook replace the Air, in much the same way that the Air replaced the original MacBook in...
 Probably because it's geared toward women and Apple expects most women to buy the 38mm version. It's the opposite reason the leather loop band is offered only in 42mm, though I think more men will buy the 38mm Watch than women the 42mm version.
Go back to MacRumors and Macworld message boards from January 2008 and read the comments about the original MacBook Air. Substitute "SuperDrive" for "SD Port" and "Ethernet" for "HDMI port" and you have basically the same argument back then as now. Yet today most notebooks look like the MacBook Air. 
Also, didn't Steve Jobs introduce the first MacBook Air, with a whopping single USB port and an underpowered CPU that tended to overheat, but a slick, forward-looking design? The MacBook is a nod to the original MacBook Air, hopefully sans the CPU issues.
 I believe it does use tokenization when it is using MST. According to CNet Visa and Mastercard were able to do this because they set up all the back-end technology when making their systems compatible with Apple Pay. Gas pumps are one area where MST won't work. This requires the terminals where you swipe the card vertically or horizontally across a reader, rather than push the card in and out. That said, being compatible with the old system does give it an advantage,...
 Unrealistic. Joint CEO situations rarely work out well (e.g. BlackBerry, and to a lesser extent Samsung, though in the latter they are really 3 separate businesses). If a CEO "retires" but stays on, it's usually as a non-executive chairman focusing on strategy while the new CEO focuses on operations. Chances are Ahrendts will stay in her current role for the foreseeable future since she's still relatively new. If she is going to be groomed as a future CEO Apple will fold...
Burberry is a place where you can spend $120 on an umbrella. It isn't cheap by any stretch. But my dad bought my mom a number of birthday/Christmas/anniversary gifts over the years. After his third purchase or so the store manager got to know him and my mom well enough to predict what another good gift would be. I'd describe my family as upper middle class, perhaps lower upper class, but practical. We don't throw money away but aren't afraid of spending a little more to...
On top of that, she was a CEO who tripled the value of her company in 7 years. Cook has doubled his in just under 4 years (including his tenure as "interim" CEO). I wonder if Cook and Ahrendts have a running bet on whether he can top her percentage. 😄
 I can't remember where, but I thought I had read that in one of the interviews of Cook or Ive from a year or so ago. My sense is that he likes being head designer, but doesn't believe he has the skills to be a CEO. He's a design genius, but geniuses don't always make good CEOs. Heck, Steve Jobs wasn't particularly good at running a company at first. In his current role, Ive doesn't need to worry about operations and probably not so much about engineering (except when they...