or Connect

Posts by KPOM

Except that Amazon has been "reinvesting" since they have been in existence. The market should be asking Jeff Bezos when he actually plans on making money, unless they plan on keeping the stock until 5013.
  Sorry to hear that, but that's a lesson learned. As irrational as the market was last year in driving Apple up to $700 it is irrational now dragging it down into the $400s on record profits. Don't trade in any individual stock more than you can lose. Index funds are the best bet (low fees, and you are not tied to any particular stock). Warren Buffett comes along once or twice a lifetime. The rest of us should diversify. I lost money today, but only a few thousand, and...
  The projection for Q2 is a "miss." Actually, EPS was slightly above consensus. Revenue was slightly below consensus, and iPhone and iPad sales were in line. Mac sales were a miss, but they are relatively small.
    Exactly. I don't begrudge advertising on the site (and actually recently made a purchase from MacMall with the click-through promotion), but they shouldn't take a blatant promotion and try to disguise it as a "news" article. "Breaking news: Struggling retailers who had a less-than-stellar holiday season are instituting January price cuts to move stock" SHOCKING. /s/
According to this article (of course, buried in the last sentence), only 3.6 million tablets were sold in Japan in all of 2012. Perhaps it isn't a very representative market at all.   http://news.yahoo.com/nexus-7-reportedly-dethrones-ipad-top-tablet-japan-143016946.html
I guess small is the new big.Seriously, though, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. The mini is the "new" product. When it comes to tablets and iPads the average person doesn't care about the processor inside or the GPU. These are mostly used for reading, browsing, and light gaming. The iPad has been around for a few years and the basic design is the same. The mini is both cheaper and more portable. It's a lot more convenient on a train or bus, and to carry around...
There are several possible explanations. First, I do think the iPad mini is very popular. It was priced right to be a holiday gift. It may also be the right size for the long term, being bigger and more readable than the silly "phablets" but smaller and more portable than the 9.7" and even bigger Android tablets, which will probably eventually see more competition from Windows 8. Second, it could mean a 5th generation is on its way, with a more substantial redesign to...
No one else is reporting this story, not even other Mac rumor sites, so I'm wondering how reliable the source is.  
  CNet's credibility has been deeply undermined by the whole "Best of CES" flap involving the Dish Hopper. It's pretty clear they have lost their editorial independence under CBS.
This is worrying, since it is looking Google's giveaway strategy threatens another of Apple's core markets. Google is the new Microsoft. They write the software and make all the money (albeit through ad revenue rather than the software itself) and let the OEMs worry about (and often fail) to make profits on razor thin margins. It sounds like the iPad mini came none too soon.