or Connect

Posts by KPOM

The OWC isn't an "official" upgrade, but they have been making replacement SSDs for MacBook Airs for quite a while, and recently released SSDs for the rMBP.    In my case, I lost my MacBook Air shortly before Christmas while traveling, and decided to upgrade to the 13" rMBP. While I got what was a good price at the time from MacMall (256GB version), I'd rather have lost the MBA this month (if I had to lose it at all - fortunately I had insurance, but I'd rather not be...
  Most web sites I go to are just fine. Remember, just about every full-sized tablet has a higher PPI, and the Surface Pro's PPI is just slightly less than the rMBP's. We'll see more and more websites upgrade their graphics. In the meantime, you get super sharp text.   AI has had a few sponsored "news articles" in the past month, highlighting B&H bundles and MacMall promotions.
  Microsoft put the Surface Pro out for sale today with 128GB being the largest storage option.    Clearly Apple didn't price the rMBP to sell in volumes, at least not in 2012/early 2013. My guess is that they are working with resellers to find the right price point for later this year when it becomes mainstream. I think that they will keep a 128GB version around. After all, it appears to be the most popular size for the MacBook Air line. If I didn't need to run Windows...
  The HD4000 can drive the internal display plus two external displays.     Well, in percentage terms, the drop in price of the MacBook Air from the Rev C (sold June 2009 - September 2010) to the Rev D sold from October 2010- July 2011 was bigger. My guess is that the Rev B rMBP will start at $1499.    As for Mac sales in general, I think the iMac supply constraints were a bigger factor than the high price of the rMBP. I'm guessing that the rMBP deliberately wasn't priced...
I think we'll see aggressive price cuts on the rMBP line with the 2013 refresh. Apparently even Apple customers have limits. This will be the year that the rMBP becomes mainstream.
This makes sense to me. While it definitely led to short term pain (the stock dropped more since Phil Oppenheimer made his comments on the analyst call than it did to the earnings release itself), it hopefully leads to long term gain. Truth be told, the stock probably should never have risen to $700. But now I think the market has gotten irrationally pessimistic about the company. Samsung is Apple's only real competition right now, and their profit margin is less than...
The real story is Nokia's collapse. Pre-2009 they dominated all segments of the market, and as late as early 2011 still dominated the low and middle segments. That changed when they announced their switch to Windows Phone nearly a year before the phones were ready to ship. They "Osborned" themselves. Samsung swooped in and took over those segments, and then came in with the Galaxy series to attack the high end. That said, most of Samsung's sales are still in the low to mid...
  Except that Amazon has been "reinvesting" since they have been in existence. The market should be asking Jeff Bezos when he actually plans on making money, unless they plan on keeping the stock until 5013.
  Sorry to hear that, but that's a lesson learned. As irrational as the market was last year in driving Apple up to $700 it is irrational now dragging it down into the $400s on record profits. Don't trade in any individual stock more than you can lose. Index funds are the best bet (low fees, and you are not tied to any particular stock). Warren Buffett comes along once or twice a lifetime. The rest of us should diversify. I lost money today, but only a few thousand, and...
  The projection for Q2 is a "miss." Actually, EPS was slightly above consensus. Revenue was slightly below consensus, and iPhone and iPad sales were in line. Mac sales were a miss, but they are relatively small.