or Connect

Posts by KPOM

True. Netbooks were once the "future of computing." Now Acer and Asustek, the last manufacturers of netbooks, are ceasing production. "Phablets" don't do anything better. If I want a tablet, I need a bigger screen than 5.5" or 6". And a smaller phone is more comfortable to use.   I can see Apple making the iPhone screen slightly bigger, but I think that will come from eliminating the home button and what's left of the bezel. I don't see them making "phablets"...
  According to Foss Patents, a permanent injunction would have given Apple leverage since they could then ask the court to add new products to the list so long as they can demonstrate that they have the same infringing features. In other words, Samsung would need to keep applying the workarounds. With a damages award, theoretically Samsung can continue to infringe, racking up damages along the way. It becomes, in effect, a pricier licensing agreement.   Koh has been...
I wouldn't be surprised if Judge Koh tinkers with the award. However, I don't expect to see major parts of the overall ruling overturned. At the end of the day, whether Apple is awarded $250 million, $1.0 billion, or something in between it doesn't matter that much to either company. It's more the symbolism at this point, as well as the potential leverage in putting together some sort of comprehensive settlement. I think the judge would like nothing more than for the two...
We'll see what happens in the full quarter. At first blush, it seems like Android manufacturers are buying market share by going further and further downmarket (those $159 Kindle Fires and $199 Nexus 7s must be fairly popular), while Ultrabooks seem to be struggling to catch on. My guess is the rMBP (13" and 15") is a bit too niche still to make much of a dent in MacBook sales, while the rest of the lineup is solidly mid-cycle. iPhone drives most of Apple's stock price, so...
Hopefully with iOS 7 Apple starts to put in place some semblance of a file system. I'd like to be able to copy, use, and share PDFs a bit more easily between my PC and iPad. My employer restricts the use of iCloud Document matching and services like DropBox, so I need to use the somewhat clunky iTunes method of file exchange.
  You may be on to something. Item 2 may be the key. For example, Apple might have agreed to pay $0.10 per device for HTC's LTE patents, but $2-4 per device for some Sense-related software patents, and in exchange licensed back its iOS-related software patents for $10 per device getting us to the net $6-8 per phone that's been bandied about. Most of what Samsung has against Apple are 3G FRAND or LTE-related patents that it might offer the same rate for, meaning the "same...
  Well a few days after signing the agreement with Apple, HTC announced a new flagship Droid DNA with much fanfare at a joint presentation with Verizon, so I doubt the agreement said "stop using Android." HTC's lawyers were better than Samsung's at throwing wrenches into Apple's lawsuit plans. While Apple likely would have ultimately prevailed, it would have taken a lot longer before the cases even got to trial. By settling, Apple propped up another competitor of Samsung...
  Samsung may not "negotiate" a license, but they probably would be amenable to a court forcing a license upon Apple.      It doesn't appear that HTC removed any core features from the Droid DNA so my guess is that it is comprehensive. That said, we also don't know what IP HTC licensed to Apple. Perhaps there were patented design elements or software techniques in Sense that Apple now has access to and plans to use in future products. If that's the case, then a court may...
The product delays are starting to become worrying. Tim Cook had built his reputation on supply chain management. Perhaps it's a case of Jony Ive going a little wild with design and making things that much more difficult to manufacturer. For sure, these things happened under Steve Jobs.That was actually the norm. Remember the iPad 2 launch and how long it took for supply to catch up with demand? However, since the iPhone 4S and 3rd gen iPad launches went very smoothly,...
Might Apple be better off making a "strategic acquisition"? After all, it appears that this company's IP lawsuits stick, if Microsoft also had to pay up.