or Connect

Posts by KPOM

I think we'll see aggressive price cuts on the rMBP line with the 2013 refresh. Apparently even Apple customers have limits. This will be the year that the rMBP becomes mainstream.
This makes sense to me. While it definitely led to short term pain (the stock dropped more since Phil Oppenheimer made his comments on the analyst call than it did to the earnings release itself), it hopefully leads to long term gain. Truth be told, the stock probably should never have risen to $700. But now I think the market has gotten irrationally pessimistic about the company. Samsung is Apple's only real competition right now, and their profit margin is less than...
The real story is Nokia's collapse. Pre-2009 they dominated all segments of the market, and as late as early 2011 still dominated the low and middle segments. That changed when they announced their switch to Windows Phone nearly a year before the phones were ready to ship. They "Osborned" themselves. Samsung swooped in and took over those segments, and then came in with the Galaxy series to attack the high end. That said, most of Samsung's sales are still in the low to mid...
  Except that Amazon has been "reinvesting" since they have been in existence. The market should be asking Jeff Bezos when he actually plans on making money, unless they plan on keeping the stock until 5013.
  Sorry to hear that, but that's a lesson learned. As irrational as the market was last year in driving Apple up to $700 it is irrational now dragging it down into the $400s on record profits. Don't trade in any individual stock more than you can lose. Index funds are the best bet (low fees, and you are not tied to any particular stock). Warren Buffett comes along once or twice a lifetime. The rest of us should diversify. I lost money today, but only a few thousand, and...
  The projection for Q2 is a "miss." Actually, EPS was slightly above consensus. Revenue was slightly below consensus, and iPhone and iPad sales were in line. Mac sales were a miss, but they are relatively small.
    Exactly. I don't begrudge advertising on the site (and actually recently made a purchase from MacMall with the click-through promotion), but they shouldn't take a blatant promotion and try to disguise it as a "news" article. "Breaking news: Struggling retailers who had a less-than-stellar holiday season are instituting January price cuts to move stock" SHOCKING. /s/
According to this article (of course, buried in the last sentence), only 3.6 million tablets were sold in Japan in all of 2012. Perhaps it isn't a very representative market at all.   http://news.yahoo.com/nexus-7-reportedly-dethrones-ipad-top-tablet-japan-143016946.html
I guess small is the new big.Seriously, though, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. The mini is the "new" product. When it comes to tablets and iPads the average person doesn't care about the processor inside or the GPU. These are mostly used for reading, browsing, and light gaming. The iPad has been around for a few years and the basic design is the same. The mini is both cheaper and more portable. It's a lot more convenient on a train or bus, and to carry around...
There are several possible explanations. First, I do think the iPad mini is very popular. It was priced right to be a holiday gift. It may also be the right size for the long term, being bigger and more readable than the silly "phablets" but smaller and more portable than the 9.7" and even bigger Android tablets, which will probably eventually see more competition from Windows 8. Second, it could mean a 5th generation is on its way, with a more substantial redesign to...