or Connect

Posts by KPOM

If this is true, then Angela Ahrendts' hire makes even more sense.
 Way overblown. The Street doesn't see the explosive growth that Apple had over the past decade, but it's difficult to see how even Steve Jobs could have replicated that if he were still alive and at the helm. What the stagnant stock price shows is an expectation that Apple's 2010s may be a lot like Microsoft's 2000s. IOW, not much growth, but still a very viable company.
 But it's the same crippled phone version that's also available for iPhone. They quietly enabled the edit features without a subscription, but probably because they aren't very useful. Even on a Note 3, there's not much room for editing. And an upsized phone app on an Android tablet doesn't come close to a built-from-the-ground-up tablet version.
 Yes, it is a testament to the strength of iOS. Office for iPad doesn't look like something that was written 2 years ago and has been sitting on a shelf. It is native to iOS 7 (not sure if it is 64-bit, though), and conforms to its UI guidelines and is extremely touch-centric. Also telling is that they did this before they even completed the touch-centric re-write of Office for Windows RT/8. Arguably if they were serious about promoting Surface, making it touch-centric...
 However, Apple has given no indication that it will merge iOS and OS X any time soon, if ever. They haven't even activated full multi-tasking on iOS yet, probably because of power considerations and the relative limitations of ARM. I doubt that they would move away from Intel just yet, particularly when Intel's desktop and notebook-class processor designs are significantly more powerful than anything ARM has at the moment. It's the mobile device space where ARM has the...
 I'm not sure I'd rely on the HD4200 to power a Retina Display. Remember the complaints about the lag on the original 13" rMBP?
This makes sense and is a good move. The iPad 4 was a good device and is a decent value at $400. Having the iPad Air as the only "high-end" full sized iPad during the holidays undoubtedly boosted sales of the Air. But now that the holidays are over it makes sense for Apple to have a more competitive offering at $400.
The discrepancy to Apple's own published figures is very unusual and calls into question the validity of the Android estimate. That said, it probably is broadly correct that Android tablets have greater market share. But the unit sales for Android are likely coming from the low end. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 are arguably the closest to the iPad in terms of quality. Yet (again, taking Gartner's numbers with a grain of salt), they don't appear to be making significant...
Color me skeptical. Maybe Apple would attempt to differentiate the models more, but I'd think that both would get at least the bumps to the A8 and Touch ID.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/apple-and-samsung-took-all-handset-profits-in-fourth-quarter/?_php=true&_type=blogs&partner=yahoofinance&_r=0   Enough said.