or Connect

Posts by KPOM

I'd agree here. They are still by far the biggest seller of iPhones in the US, but Verizon has them beaten on Android sales. Android represents 50% of the market, and my guess is that AT&T wants there to be a third major ecosystem out there so that they don't become too dependent upon Google.
[QUOTE=GregAlexander;2091210 But for Europe the bands are quite aligned for 800/1800/2600, and I'm surprised that Apple isn't producing a variant for that combination (or part of it). I see that Verizon removes DC-HSPA and gets CDMA options - the European market is bigger than Verizon. An 1800/2600 device would even work on our 1800/2600 in Australia. Perhaps the next iPad? I expect that for the next 2 years, we'll see the 3G networks bump up to DC-HSPA, while...
The original advertising had the 4G logo worldwide. Once the complaints started coming in, Apple quickly changed it to remove the 4G logo and clarify it was "ultra-fast wireless" outside North America. I think the claims are largely overblown. As others have pointed out, the UK hasn't even auctioned the LTE spectrum yet, and there are only a handful of experimental LTE networks in operation. Also, they did boost the 3G capabilities of the new iPad vs. the iPad 2. Apple has...
It's good that they are reporting the potential security issue, but everyone seems to be taking the "600K" claim at face value. That said, I do want Apple to put out a malware cleaner update sooner rather than later. Running Terminal isn't for the average user.
To be fair, the UN's definition of "4G" includes the fast HSDPA that is included with the new iPad. I notice, though, that Apple's websites now have been clarified to state that LTE (which is the minimum that carriers in many countries consider 4G) works only in the US and Canada. I suspect that this will largely blow over. LTE isn't really very developed in most countries, and even where it is it doesn't offer much different download speeds from high speed 3G networks....
There are about 900 million shares of Apple outstanding.
Until you have a deal, it makes no sense to say "we're going to set aside up to $X for an acquisition" because you would lose leverage. Plus there would be lots of speculation on who the target is, which creates tricky legal issues. Acquisitions aren't announced until the deal is signed.
But if that were the case, they would just announce a deal tomorrow morning rather than pre-announce it today. Acquisitions are usually negotiated right up until the time the deal is announced, and it is not unusual for the terms to be discussed late into the night just before the press release is prepared.
I doubt there are many Apple investors in the bottom two brackets. Plus, it is more likely that no matter who gets elected in November, their taxes won't be going up much, if at all. On the other hand, if the highest tax rate on dividends goes from 15% this year to 42.5% next year (39.6% pre-Bush rate plus the Medicare surcharge that goes into effect next year), that would have a HUGE impact on how a dividend is received by the Street.
Those are the only two realistic ways of reducing the cash/investment balance (only a quarter of it is actually cash and 2/3 of it is in long-term investments). For 2012, at least as far as American shareholders are concerned, a special dividend would be taxed at 15% (the same as a long term capital gain), so that is one way of doing it. A stock buyback doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the stock is trading at a record high, so I'm leaning toward a special...