or Connect

Posts by KPOM

Exactly. It would be nice to have a Thunderbolt model.
Ivy Bridge will boost the graphics speeds by about 50%, and CPU power by about 30% while reducing power output (improving battery life). It is a bigger deal if you like to play games.
If WP does succeed, it will be at the expense of Android. Remember, iOS users tend to be far more loyal than users of other smartphone operating systems. Android has succeeded primarily because it emerged as "everyone else's" answer to the iPhone (while Symbian, BB, WebOS, MeeGo, etc. stalled, faded to oblivion, or failed to gain traction). I think Microsoft is hoping some phone makers become wary of Google's power and its acquisition of Motorola Mobility. On the table...
35% is one of the highest, and remember, that's also before state taxes (California's tax rates are particularly high). A UK company pays 28% taxes. However, a UK company with a subsidiary in Hong Kong pays 15% tax on income earned in Hong Kong, and no additional tax if they bring that money back to the UK. A US company in a similar situation would pay another 20% on that Hong Kong income if they brought it back home. Since Apple makes more money overseas than...
Effectively what Apple and the other companies are asking for is treatment similar to other countries. Remember, other countries have already taxed that income. Most countries tax their citizens and companies only on the income earned within that country. The US, Russia, and a few others tax citizens and domiciled corporations on all their worldwide income. The US makes an exception for corporations that don't bring that money back to the US. If they didn't do that, US...
AT&T had already launched LTE in Chicago in mid-2011.
It's a network issue. It happens to me on my iPhone 4S, and my colleagues, some of whom have BlackBerry Bolds running on AT&T's HSPA+ network. Even with 5 bars of signal, from 10:00am-6:00 in many parts of Manhattan the network is jammed with traffic and won't let data through, or lets it through very slowly.
Plus, it isn't as if Apple didn't ask Verizon back in 2006 whether they wanted to carry the iPhone. Remember that back in those days, the carriers wielded the power, and didn't like being told by Apple that they couldn't install their own applications or branding on the phone. No one knew whether it would even sell. AT&T took a chance on the phone, agreed to Apple's terms regarding pricing, branding, and marketing, and in return got an exclusive contract.
Apple's issue in the 1990s was mismanagement, not a lack of market share. Pepsi and Avis do just fine as the #2 players in large markets. Ford (#2 in the US) was the only US automaker that didn't go bankrupt in 2009. Apple's biggest operational issue was that they used proprietary parts and had supply issues. By switching to Intel, they have easy supply access, and can promote compatibility, to boot. Their biggest strategic issue was not having CEOs who could develop new...
I think you are overreacting. iOS just needs enough market share to survive and thrive. It doesn't need to be the top seller. It isn't as if John Sculley or Michael Spindler were named CEO. There is room for 2 or even 3 or 4 major mobile operating systems. That said, I do think that Apple is secretly a fan of Windows Phone and Windows 8 ARM. Any growth that those operating systems experience will probably be largely at the expense of Android.