or Connect

Posts by KPOM

The biggest reason carriers have so much say is that American consumers are conditioned to pay little or nothing upfront for a phone rather than pay the full purchase price and accept a lower monthly fee. T-Mobile tried offering such a plan last year, but it didn't work. Google, Nokia, etc. have tried offering SIM-free phones, but with little success. Also, CDMA networks don't require SIM cards, meaning that carriers who use CDMA can decide which phones to carry. Most of...
A Dutch court ruled an earlier Apple patent on the slide to unlock gesture was invalid because of prior art. The Neonode N1m phone running Windows CE had a similar gesture in 2006, but it didn't display a graphic. Apple added that to the new patent, but it's entirely possible a court will rule that to be "obvious" and unpatentable.
That's like trying to defend the iPhone's shortcomings by saying you can hack it. I purchased the Nexus One because I like unlocked phones. Sure, it didn't sell well, but if Google isn't going to update the Nexus One, that doesn't bode well for HTC updating the very similar Droid Incredible, which did sell reasonably well. It's the symbolism that's important here. Google has just validated the strategy of most Android OEMs not to keep their products updated.
It results in the same issue Microsoft had with Vista and Windows XP. There are very few programs that run on Vista or 7 that don't run on XP. Microsoft has actually had to force the issue by making IE 9 incompatible (though there is no technical reason why it couldn't run). Sure, people running XP could still run the latest applications after Vista was released, but it led to issues because the security enhancements and UI conventions that Microsoft wanted to release with...
The point, though, is that Apple updated the 3GS and the 4 to the latest OS, so people don't need to buy new phones if they don't want the new hardware but just want some of the new features like notification. ICS brings a lot of nice new OS enhancements, as did Gingerbread. However, if you are on a phone stuck with Froyo you get none of them. Nexus One owners, who up to now had received timely updates, are frozen out of Ice Cream Sandwich altogether. Sure, they wouldn't...
Now if only the Bluetooth Smart Ready iPhone 4S could connect to the Bluetooth Smart Ready MacBook Air through any of the Bluetooth standards. I know, Apple prefers we sync through iCloud or even iTunes Wi-Fi now, but I recall being able to route sound from a Nokia phone to a PC or Mac. Without NFC, Bluetooth would also be a good way for two iPhones to share contacts, etc.
I think their primary concern is Samsung, which is about the only Android OEM capable of selling a high margin product. HTC has mixed loyalty (committing to Windows Phone as well as Android), and Motorola Mobility's products tend to be lower margin. While Apple needed the AT&T exclusivity in order to launch the product, I think it was a year too long. That said, I don't think Apple ever expected to dominate the smartphone market in the same way that it does the music...
EPS = Earnings per share. It's a little more complicated, but essentially it's a company's earnings divided by the average number of shares outstanding during the quarter. It's each shareholder's "share" of earnings. P/E is the stock price divided by EPS. Apple's P/E is relatively low compared to other technology companies.
This sounds like blaming the user. The fact is Apple made it too easy to create multiple Apple IDs in the past, and so a lot of people have one for iTunes and one or more others that may have had the same e-mail address. I set up my parents' iPads this weekend and ran into this issue. Unfortunately, my mother had one set up in 2010 for iTunes, but two others set up in 2004 and 2008 that had the same e-mail address (I think one was related to an old .Mac account). Because...
That suggests to me that Ive and Forstall can't stand each other. Cook's challenge will be to manage their egos while giving them the space to do their respective things. He's like a football or basketball coach in that respect. We'll find out soon enough whether he's closer to Dennis Green or Phil Jackson.