or Connect

Posts by KPOM

Microsoft used to eschew formal meetings with Congressional leaders, as well as lobbying. That all changed once they got hit with an anti-trust lawsuit. While Apple isn't nearly in the same situation Microsoft was in, they are increasingly under scrutiny for certain business practices. Having an open line to Washington might help diffuse potentially difficult political situations.
It has sold surprisingly well. That said, this might have a bigger impact on the iPad, perhaps for artists and graphic designers. I'm still not convinced any stylus or tablet will ever completely replace pencil and paper for note taking.
Interesting. Yet another validation of the iPad in the enterprise.   Unfortunately, the next version of the "Debt Restructuring App" will likely have just one setting: Default.
9 million would be an impressive number, regardless of whether it's to the carriers or individuals, or a combination. Carriers won't buy them unless they can sell them. The Galaxy SIII is a bit too big for me, but it does seem to be popular. Hopefully Apple is taking notice and has some nice plans for IOS 6 in store for us next month. It isn't really Android vs. IOS so much anymore as it is Samsung vs. Apple. Samsung is the only other company besides Apple who can sell...
  Up until the settlement, companies always keep up the talk. At times, they even let it come to trial (or at least a scheduled trial) before settling. My guess is the "undisclosed sum" will be relatively small (of course, we won't know for sure). Someone at Apple messed up and didn't read the fine print. The "Proview is all one guy" argument was blustering to let Proview know they wouldn't just cave easily.
    No that's not clear at all. 2/3 of the LTE subscribers in the world are in the US, so they may have added LTE support sooner than they wanted to in order to remain competitive in the US. Since LTE isn't as widespread outside the US, they are not at a competitive disadvantage by not offering LTE. Note that the iPads use old LTE chipsets that draw a lot of power. Apple doesn't use them in the iPhone for that reason. I suspect that the new iPhone and next year's iPad...
"Next up - how the New York Times avoids billions in taxes..."   They do it the easy way. They just avoid making a profit. 
The same report claims Samsung is going to use ceramic in the Galaxy S3. Samsung is expected to announce the phone next month, so we'll get an early indication if DigiTimes has a decent source for once.
Considering that the shipping times are back up to 1-2 weeks, and there is limited store availability (e.g here in NYC the Upper West Side store had the 32GB Verizon model in stock but none of the other stores do), I'd tend to agree that it is more likely an issue of supply than demand. Apple cranked up production to ensure a smooth rollout, but perhaps after that initial supply sold out demand caught up with supply again.
The guy is there to minimize Apple's tax bill, not design the next iPhone. He may be great at what he does and wants to work for a bigger company with bigger challenges. Most of Apple's money is overseas, and with the high corporate tax rate here, tax planning is an important consideration in any big company's operations.