or Connect

Posts by KPOM

Sounds interesting. It looks increasingly like Apple is taking the opposite approach from Microsoft. Instead of trying to scale down a desktop operating system to run on mobile devices, they want to scale up their existing mobile OS to become more powerful. I wonder if the "iPad Pro" will have a souped up A7 or A7X?
 But that's essentially what the Galaxy Gear is, and Samsung couldn't pull it off at a lower price point or smaller size. The Gear relies on a Note 3 or Galaxy Tab 10.1. Supposedly it will also support the Galaxy S4 and S3 at some point. I think to sell well, it's a matter less about features, and more about looks. People might buy a $100 "iWatch" that is essentially nothing more than a Nike Flexband that tells time provided that it looks sharp. They might buy a $500...
 Aluminum as a material is cheap because it is so abundant (it was once considered "rare"). However, plastic is easier to work with because it doesn't bend or crease as easily. My guess is that by switching the mid-range model to plastic Apple was able to free up resources to build more of the 5s. So even if producing plastic itself is more costly, it winds up being more cost effective in production.
Perhaps the silent 11/12/13 online-only launch (lucky day!) is intended to throw off the "resellers" It's been 4 hours since launch and the shipping times haven't budged. How quickly the 16 and 32GB Wi-Fi models shift to 5-10 business days and the other models shift to "December" should be a hint as to the supply. If it is by the end of today or even this week, then it means that demand far outstrips supply.
It might be like the iPhone 5s was the first month. I also see that Apple has the holiday theme on their website. The person at the store also told me yesterday that the January 7th return date is already in effect. My guess is that the silent release is a key to how constrained supplies really are. 
Just ordered a 32GB T-Mobile version. It is supposed to arrive between November 26th and December 4th.
 And then we'll get endless threads on these forums and others about how people got "defective" screens. The burn in might not be visible immediately, but it would have an effect long-run. It's good that Apple isn't settling for "good enough."
They can certainly make their own, after they design it first. Or they can use ARM's reference design, which isn't as optimized as Apple's A7. Making a chip =/= designing one.
It's Apple's biggest competitor, and they are driving certain market trends, such as larger screens.
Probably because the number of Mac users is much smaller than the number of iOS users. Therefore, iOS users don't know what was missing. Mac users who need the features will continue to use iWork 09 until the features are added in. The rest of us will use the iWork applications as they exist right now.