or Connect

Posts by KPOM

The WSJ and AllThingsD, along with Jim Dalrymple, appear to be Apple's preferred communications channels for controlled leaks. I don't think any "rumor" from the WSJ or AllThingsD the day before a product announcement has been incorrect. Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher of AllThingsD are severing ties with News Corp. in December, though, so it remains to be seen where Apple will head in the future. That said, what we don't know yet is how much supply there will be of the...
 But those sites were quoted enough in mainstream media sources such that many average consumers knew Apple was releasing a "plastic" iPhone and an iPhone with a fingerprint scanner before the official rollout. I'm not surprised the 5c wasn't a $350 phone. I was somewhat surprised it wasn't a $450-$500 phone to start with, displacing both the 5 and the 4s in developed markets. Discounters here in the US have marked it down to $49 on contract (essentially $500). 
 Given the complexity of today's software it's impossible to fix all bugs. That said, I have found iOS 7 to be less buggy than iOS 6. remember at this point last year Maps was a disaster, Exchange didn't work right, and batteries were draining under iOS 6. The USA Today article seems overblown and another attempt at Apple bashing.
It's limited to 2G speeds, though (128Mbps). BIG catch. It is nice enough for casual use, though.
 I think that there is also a big contingent who stick with iPhone because it is the only "premium" smartphone with a smaller-screen, pocketable design. If given a choice between a 4/4.7" iPhone and a 5.7" device next year, I'll go with the smaller phone. I've heard a lot of people complain that Android phones are too big, and that we're going in the wrong direction. Technology usually leads to smaller devices, not bigger devices.
  x2. We'll know better when we see the October sales data. September sales included some channel refill. Not so much for the 5s, which sold out, but definitely for the 5c. My guess (and it's a guess) is that the iPhone 5c is selling about as well as the 4s did last year (and the 5 might have had Apple kept it around instead of introducing the 5c), but that Apple wanted and/or expected more. All the advertising is for the 5c. Apple knew the 5s would sell itself. But the 5c...
We'll find out in a month as Island Hermit points out, when we see where the 5c ranks at each of the carriers. It seems very unusual that this new, heavily marketed device is already being discounted while lots of people who ordered the iPhone 5s haven't even received it yet. I'm an AAPL shareholder. I want them to sell lots of the 5c. It just doesn't seem that it is selling as well as the 5s right now. Launch day is one thing (of course the 5c wouldn't be the phone that...
It looks more and more like Apple just overestimated demand at the $99 price point.   http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/04/walmart-drops-iphone-5c-pricing-to-45-on-contract-through-the-holidays/
 They dropped the price of the original iPhone after 74 days. They also dropped the price of the 13" rMBP after 4 months. While I'm sure they will adjust their production numbers if the 5s is outselling the 5c (or outperforming its budget while the 5c underperforms), there's probably a limit to the number of 5s they can make. They'll want to sell the 5cs that they have. If it means the 5c is now "$49" instead of "$99" that may be a trade-off Apple is willing to make.
 It's not being marketed as a "previous generation phone," though. It's sort of like the Moto X. Google isn't calling it "last year's technology" even though it is. Both are devices marketed as new to people who don't need or care about the latest technology but want a "new" phone. It's entirely possible that over time, the 5c and its successors become the volume sellers. Most of Samsung's volume is at the low end, though virtually all their profits are from the Galaxy...