or Connect

Posts by KPOM

We don't really know who is to blame. Did Sharp make a promise they couldn't keep? Did Apple make an unreasonable demand?
??? Samsung is the one who has been found by a court for copying Apple. It's a bit arrogant for a supplier to become their customer's biggest competitor. I don't blame Apple one bit for looking for alternatives to relying on their biggest competitor. Anyway, Intel is going to start manufacturing ARM chips, so Samsung may have some competition in the future for Apple's business.
The iPad Air's 4x3 9.7" screen is over 33% larger than the Kindle Fire HDX's 16x9 8.9" screen. It is a lot more than the "0.8 inches" would imply. The iPad is in a different class altogether.   It's even larger comparing the 7.9" iPad mini to the Nexus 7. The iPad mini's screen is 43% larger. The "Fandroids" who harp on and on about the "small" iPhone screen seem to ignore the size difference when lumping the iPad mini into the "7-inch" category.
It is probably a yield issue. They need all they can make for the 5s.
 I'd have thought that most of these "endorsement" Tweets would be put out by PR departments who would be attuned to the symbolism of posting a promotion for a device from a competitor's device. Do you think Ford would want the actors in its commercials to arrive at an event in a Chevy? 
??? The WSJ typically reports controlled leaks the day before announcements. 2 years ago, they "leaked" that there would be no iPhone 5 (just a 4s).
 The WSJ and AllThingsD, along with Jim Dalrymple, appear to be Apple's preferred communications channels for controlled leaks. I don't think any "rumor" from the WSJ or AllThingsD the day before a product announcement has been incorrect. Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher of AllThingsD are severing ties with News Corp. in December, though, so it remains to be seen where Apple will head in the future. That said, what we don't know yet is how much supply there will be of the...
 But those sites were quoted enough in mainstream media sources such that many average consumers knew Apple was releasing a "plastic" iPhone and an iPhone with a fingerprint scanner before the official rollout. I'm not surprised the 5c wasn't a $350 phone. I was somewhat surprised it wasn't a $450-$500 phone to start with, displacing both the 5 and the 4s in developed markets. Discounters here in the US have marked it down to $49 on contract (essentially $500). 
 Given the complexity of today's software it's impossible to fix all bugs. That said, I have found iOS 7 to be less buggy than iOS 6. remember at this point last year Maps was a disaster, Exchange didn't work right, and batteries were draining under iOS 6. The USA Today article seems overblown and another attempt at Apple bashing.
It's limited to 2G speeds, though (128Mbps). BIG catch. It is nice enough for casual use, though.