or Connect

Posts by KPOM

At $550 unsubsidized, I doubt people will buy 2 or 3. At $450, I could see it as a second phone.
 Because Virgin Mobile is just Sprint's prepaid brand and they do gimmicks like that all the time. They are wholly owned by Sprint, but lack access to their roaming agreements. So it's just like being on Sprint, only worse.
 It depends on what Apple's goal is with the 5c. If it's just a way to sell "last year's phone" in an easier to manufacture, and cheaper way, then it succeeded. However, they did add the new Qualcomm chip expanding global LTE capabilities, and they are pushing it heavily through marketing, and so it's also entirely possible that they were looking to expand the market in and outside the US. If so, then it remains to be seen whether that will happen. As for the carriers...
True, but the carriers are pushing shared plans right now. A lot more people might be tempted to add a line.
 What stats? Apple hasn't and likely won't release a product split. Most of the activation data that's been posted suggests extremely high demand for the 5s. Plus, the 5c is being discounted already at places like Best Buy, which has precedent. In January, Best Buy ran a $200 promotion on the rMBP. A month later, Apple came out with a minor refresh and slashed the price. This could be Apple doing the same thing. The 5s will sell itself because it's the latest and greatest....
 I believe you're correct. What could be happening is Apple is experimenting with the price. If this promo works, we might see a price adjustment. They did this with the rMBP ($200 Best Buy gift cards) about a month before dropping the price of the entire product line. I wasn't surprised the 5c wasn't a $350 phone. I was a bit surprised it was a $550 phone in its base form. I thought they'd use it as an opportunity to drop the 4s and sell a base version for $450 (perhaps...
 Since it's September sales and the phone went on sale on the 20th, a lot of the 5c sales could be legitimate channel refilling. We'll see in October. The 5c is widely available and Best Buy just announced a promotion on it, which is unusual so early. My guess is that it is selling OK (about as well as the 5 would have if Apple had stayed true to form), but not as well as Apple would have liked.
 The 16GB version is fine for a lot of people. The 32GB version is plenty for me.   I think it's a function of being "different" after 6 years of largely the same look. After 2 weeks of using iOS 7 it looks perfectly normal to me. Plus the UI updates were long overdue (the control center, updates to notifications, etc) as Android and even Windows Phone have had similar functionality for a while now.
 To be fair, it does have a slightly better camera and better LTE support. It's probably selling about as well as "last year's flagship" did, but Apple and resellers hoped it would do a bit better. It could be the same scenario that played out with the rMBP. Apple lowered the price of that device back in January. They can easily do that with the 5c. My guess is that it isn't so much the similarity to the 5 as it is the contrast to the 5s. It really makes it that much...
 How is it too late to backtrack on the price? They could silently drop the 4s and put the base 5c in the "free"/$450 slot if they want to. They probably won't do this so quickly after launch, but they might in January or March. Apple's done this before. Heck, they dropped the price of the original iPhone by 1/3 just 74 days after release. Most recently, they dropped the prices of the rMBP line in January 2013, just 4 months after releasing the 13" model. Oddly, if the...