or Connect

Posts by chadbag

???? WebObjects, especially the 4.0 and earlier, is basically the same stuff as OS X and iOS are built on, with a different presentation layer.  WO5 is the same but moved to java.   And not that overly complicated either.
 Yes, I agree.   Apple replaced my $6k+ Mac Pro that was 6-8 months old (in mid 2008) with a new one (and next gen since the models had been updated a month after I got my original one) when a memory riser card failed and they could not get a new one in through their parts channels after 2 weeks. The piece was available from 3rd parties for $70-$80 IIRC but Apple did not have them in their parts channel so replaced the whole machine.  The replacement was the same number of...
 Wish I had been so lucky.  My iPhone 6+ fell out of my pants pocket once, and only fell 6-10" onto a concrete step I was sitting on.  It bounced like a plate meaning it hit all 4 corners and put small cracks in 3 and a small "dent" in the glass in the fourth.  All on that one drop.   I was not asking them to replace it, but to allow me to buy AC+ and just note the pre-existing damage as not being covered (as the cracks don't impact the use of the phone as they are only in...
We use the new Apple Test Flight and the old Test Flight.  Both have their places.   Dealing with external test groups that can get "large" (which means for us, multiple 10s of users) the new Apple one is nice.     But for our internal testers, we lose so much, it hurts and will make my life a lot more miserable, at least in the short term.
 Yes, it makes testing on older iOS versions harder.  The app I am helping with now supports iOS7 and above, but we can only test using the iTunes Connect integrated TestFlight with iOS 8 and higher. The approval by Apple is not that big of a deal, in my experience.   The first version approval is about a day, which sucks, but as long as you don't make major changes to it, later approvals happen basically immediately, in my experience.  The system asks if you have made any...
There are lot of advantages to the integrated one, and I am not saying the integration is not good.  I am saying that the closing of the older one is a loss for the development community because you lose good capability.  For one, I have seen no place where you get crash dumps in the new integrated one (at least with external testers -- we don't currently use it for internal testers as the overhead to set it up is too high).  That is a LOSS.  (You do get them for released...
This is sad. Testflightapp.com was much more useful to us for our internal testing than the Apple iTunes Connect version. We're using the iTunes version for some external testing, which works mostly well since you don't need to get the device IDs from everyone, but the overhead involved to run our internal testing, with app versions we never plan on releasing (same codebase, but different app IDs based on which database is being used, for example) makes it unwieldy. ...
There is a difference between exposing illegal activity inside the country by the govt/NSA and another leaking what the NSA and intelligence services are doing in other countries.   The former could be seen as being a correct whistleblower.  The latter is being a traitor and criminal.  Unfortunately Snowden didn't stop at whistleblowing in domestic illegal intelligence gathering.
Did you get all the buzz words in there?
I never claimed you can spread a thread across cores.  You are misunderstanding.  But they don't need a faster thread to show me my email.  Especially when they are getting the same CPU cycles because they are not time slicing it with a billion other threads. And the Samsung thing:  They don't run all 8 CPUs at once.  Whether they can can run 2+2 or 4+0 or 0+4 only or whatever is not important.  They don't run all 8 at once.  It is really a quad core phone that can...