or Connect

Posts by chadbag

There are lot of advantages to the integrated one, and I am not saying the integration is not good.  I am saying that the closing of the older one is a loss for the development community because you lose good capability.  For one, I have seen no place where you get crash dumps in the new integrated one (at least with external testers -- we don't currently use it for internal testers as the overhead to set it up is too high).  That is a LOSS.  (You do get them for released...
This is sad. Testflightapp.com was much more useful to us for our internal testing than the Apple iTunes Connect version. We're using the iTunes version for some external testing, which works mostly well since you don't need to get the device IDs from everyone, but the overhead involved to run our internal testing, with app versions we never plan on releasing (same codebase, but different app IDs based on which database is being used, for example) makes it unwieldy. ...
There is a difference between exposing illegal activity inside the country by the govt/NSA and another leaking what the NSA and intelligence services are doing in other countries.   The former could be seen as being a correct whistleblower.  The latter is being a traitor and criminal.  Unfortunately Snowden didn't stop at whistleblowing in domestic illegal intelligence gathering.
Did you get all the buzz words in there?
I never claimed you can spread a thread across cores.  You are misunderstanding.  But they don't need a faster thread to show me my email.  Especially when they are getting the same CPU cycles because they are not time slicing it with a billion other threads. And the Samsung thing:  They don't run all 8 CPUs at once.  Whether they can can run 2+2 or 4+0 or 0+4 only or whatever is not important.  They don't run all 8 at once.  It is really a quad core phone that can...
I am not missing anything.   The average mail, messaging, web client, etc. would work well on these "slower cores."   They are fast enough to run mail, web browsing, text edit, and all the other mundane stuff that these single cores make up. The very fact that there are single threaded tasks makes the lot of smaller cores more ideal as each core can run a more limited set of single threaded cores, but also be available for the massively parallel tasks that come down the...
 32 or 64 smaller cores may be the same as say 8 of your high powered cores in terms of CPU cycles.   We'll see, but I foresee that a lot of small cores may be a way in the future to achieving better results than trying to high power your cores and just have a few.  Context switching wastes your cache, time, etc in general terms.  With lots of smaller cores your CPU scheduler needs to be more efficient and can be less efficient at the same time.  It needs to keep the cores...
Having a single Atom would suck.  Having 12 or 18 of them -- maybe not.
The industry has not had multitudes of cheap, low energy usage, relatively high power cores to play with before. And they have when you look at servers.   For many of the same reasons, except now, the costs are low enough, potentially, to be tried on the desktop. No one is "throwing cores" at the problem.  They are reimagining the use of cores to solve the problem.
 You missed my point.  I know that most normal day to day apps don't break down into nice neat pieces that you can spread amongst cores.  But when you have lots of cores, you can do other things like put each app on its own core.  The app only runs on the one core but it is not sharing that core with any (or many) other apps.  And the underlying OS can be made to utilize lots of cores, and high end apps will be made to utilize the cores.  So speaking about 32 or 64 cores...