or Connect

Posts by chadbag

They basically are pre-orders.  You are pre-ordering for when inventory becomes available again for shipment.  Procedurally and accounting wise it is the same difference.  If you order an iPhone and there is not an inventory item assigned to your order, then it is basically a "pre order." (And doesn't count in sales figures).  At that time that an inventory item becomes available and is assigned to your order, it becomes a sale.
 Accounting wise, you are right.  But I am speculating that for PR pronouncements, the sale to Walmart is not counted, but is counted when Walmart sells to the end user.  Apple know about that most likely through reports from Walmart, and also because the phone gets activated with Apple's servers (and may even get scanned and reported to Apple by the sales register, which happens with iTunes cards, for example).  Apple knows pretty well when you've purchased something for...
 But the sales they count in their pronouncement of 9 million only count those that Walmart sold to an end user, I would bet.  I don't know that, but I have read similar thoughts.  I don't think Apple includes channel sales when it makes these sorts of "weekend sales" pronouncements.  Speculation on my part.  (I don't make the same speculation for quarter end sales quotes). And my "blanket statement" was in the context of the thread, ie Apple.   No where did I claim it was...
 I don't think Apple is counting those.  They'd be in trouble for making misleading statements if they were.  Especially since their quarter closes end of September and all those units would have to be missing from their quarter end pronouncements. I think the 9 Million are only those that were sold directly by Apple or by their reseller partners (carriers, Wal-Marts and Targets, etc) through their retail stores, or through their website, for stock that was on hand and...
 You might want to learn to read then.   No where did I claim Apple is lying (either plus or minus).  I was replying to someone who was claiming that the 9 million includes all the orders that won't be fulfilled until October or whenever, which I do not believe to be the case, since they claim 9 million were sold and an easily cancelable order with no signed sales contract and no money changing hands is not a sale.  My specific example of my order was meant to show what I...
 What word play?   I am fighting against the word play that others are using trying to claim that the phones ordered, but not shipping until October, were counted in this 9 million.  I think we're on the same side.
 Do you have any evidence of your claims?  Apple does not break out sales by model so please back up your claims about last years sales.  I do believe that those numbers from last year were total weekend iPhone sales, the vast majority of which were iPhone 5 models (since it was the new phone launch weekend, I would guess 95%+ but that is a WAG).  But there probably was not 3-4 million iPhone 4/4S sold in 2012 on the iPhone 5 launch weekend. 3rd party analysis shows this...
 My statement was not wrong.  We are talking about Apple and that was the context.   Since we are in a thread about Apple, I don't have to qualify my statement.  It is already qualified by the context of the thread.   Apple does not sell on deferred plans so that is irrelevant. And furthermore, the SEC looks at false or misleading statements made in public, which was my point.  It is not looking at GAAP revenue recognition when a company claims to have sold X number of...
 No, its not.  The context is Apple, which does not have deferred payment plans or anything, and whose "online orders" don't meet the threshold.  The SEC would not like it very  much, I'd guess, if Apple made public statements about sales that were not sales. My statement was not clear and could have been phrased better, but was speaking about Apple and in the Apple context.
From Wikipedia on the "Recognition of Revenue"   Since Apple does not offer terms, revenue is only bookable when exchanged for goods or services.  Commonly understood to be at the date of delivery (or shipping depending on the terms of shipping I would assume since Apple has no real good way to keep track of millions of individual Fedex/UPS/DHL/Yamato/etc deliveries.)