or Connect

Posts by chadbag

I didn't say (nor did Apple) that they COULDN'T keep a record of any of this.  Apple said that they DON'T TRACK what you are buying if I remember the video correctly.  I can guarantee that an audit trail is being kept of transactions due to regulatory compliance and the need to follow up on disputes, etc.   There is a big difference between tracking what you are buying, and logging transactions. Apple does not get a list of your items, total, and your card token to...
 I've never said that Apple is storing all this CC data in iCloud.  I did say they would have to store it somewhere to make the system work.  Whether they will populate your new device with old card data when you change your device will be seen.  If you can in some way, they will make it a safe and secure way.
 I understand how TouchID works and I know the hashes or encrypted metrics are different even with the same finger.  And they cannot recreate your finger from the stored metrics.  But they would need to be able to if the actual card data was stored there.  And that is the fatal flaw in your idea.
 You still don't have a clue on what I am saying.  Still, after all these times. Their system needing to be available is totally different than them monitoring/tracking/recording your spending habits. Their system has to be available to authorize the transaction that the merchants POS forwards.   If not, who does?  How does that work?  And how can Apple disable it with "Find my iPhone"? AS I pointed out, the fingerprint and CC info comparison is a bad comparison because...
  #1)  Because it is easier and less error prone than having the user type the info in.  And they also have proof of physical possession.  They specifically say that they take the info and get approval from the issuer based on the scan, so they are uploading it.  And I never claimed they are monitoring your purchases.  They say they aren't and they have no need to.  But they will keep transactional data in an audit trail for compliance and regulatory use, settle dispute...
  You make the assumption that the patent outlines exactly how Apple Pay works.  It may or may not.
 I did not go to the USPTO and read the actual patent.  I did glance at the diagram posted here and also speculated based on general token based systems that exist.  I have since clarified my remarks based on what Apple has actually said about Apple Pay.
 I don't think I said anything different in terms of Apple issuing the token.  I said the processor does, and that Apple may be the "processor."  I was talking about general token based systems in any case.
 I clarified myself later that it was one-way from device to backend, after reading more from Apple.  I was speculating (which I admitted to) based on how other token based systems work. And you make the assumption that this patent reflects how Apple actually does it.   Maybe, maybe not.
 I never said they did.  Please read what I wrote.  Not with your biases. I clearly said that the merchant PASSES THE DEVICE SUPPLIED TOKEN to the backend, which processes it, and passes back the success (which I called a "token" in a generic technical sense, not any sort of device ID token).  It is a one way from device, through the merchant POS, to the backend to process.