or Connect

Posts by danbirchall

Assembly in the USA makes sense for big bulky things where the savings of overseas assembly isn't enough to offset the cost of shipping.  PowerMac and Mac Pro towers and Xserves were (are?) assembled in Elk Grove, California (near Sacramento) and somewhere in Texas.  If Apple decided to do the same with the new iMac for some reason (Mac Pro demand probably isn't keeping the plants very busy, and Xserves are gone) it wouldn't come as a huge surprise.
Staid, you say?  What airports have you been hanging out in?  "Sedate, respectable, and unadventurous" doesn't describe the loud, drunk, sunburnt passengers I seem to encounter of late. :)
The EU is requiring micro USB as a standard, yeah. There's been talk of Apple just supplying an adapter to go between that and the 30-pin connector. But honestly, micro USB is smaller than 30-pin, and not just by a little bit - by a lot. It would be really nice to be able to carry just one cable and use it interchangeably between my phone, my external hard drive, and my DSLR.
deck chairs.
Please don't confuse these two ideas. By almost any standard - number of employees, number of products sold, square footage of land or buildings - there are companies "larger" than Apple. But most valuable? Heck yeah.
Next time I visit a classroom to give a presentation on something, I want to do it from my iPhone4. Kids think it's cool when I show them stuff off my MBP13, but straight from the phone would really get their attention.
It's been a few years since they added support for the Hawaiian language (which was almost extincted back in the first half of the 20th century, but has rebounded since due to major educational efforts). I remember how excited I was about that, as a non-native non-speaker who lives in Hawaii, just because it meant I could finally type Hawaiian words with the correct accent marks! Good to see them doing Cherokee too. Now for the Text Lens language pack, right?
That sounds like PSP games won't play on it, and PSP Go games won't play on it, and... yeah, you get the idea. Buy this phone, then re-buy all your games. Let me know how that works out for you, Sony.
I had a PowerBook G4 17" - top-of-the-line. After I got my MacBook, I put the PowerBook on a shelf for several months, then booted it up, noticed it was acting weird, sent it in to AppleCare, and it got rejected because the sensors were tripped, and (they said) there was corrosion inside, indicating to them that something had been spilled on it. Nothing had ever been spilled on it. However, the shelf was in my house, which is in a tropical climate where neither...
Ah yes, the White Rabbit, from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The one best known for muttering "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!" Fitting.