or Connect

Posts by delany

Come on. You only have to bother to read this thread to find out that very good Flash authoring is available for free and that the SDK is open source. Or do even the tiniest bit of Googling. Given this, can you see how you are just repeating a company line and not thinking for yourself?
Or you could look at it that Jobs is trying to pull the wool over your eyes for his own reasons and Flash/Flex is a lot more open and standard than he wants you to know: - It's open source and free. - It's as close to a cross browser standard as you can get. - It has a set of standard front-end widgets for user interface consistency. Granted, as with any SDK, these are not used in your standard games and animated menus (look at App Store games - neither are Apple's...
No. You're confusing authoring tools and SDKs. Flex 4 is an AS3 SDK. There are slightly difference libraries compared to the AS3 SDK included with the authoring tool called 'Flash CS5' the but it's really about authoring style. The end point is still Flash. Continuing my comparison to Fox news when it comes to Flash vs. Apple, Apple calling for 'open, standards-based content' works like Fox's calls for things like 'a return to real American values' or such nonsense. ...
I understand your confusion - Adobe hasn't helped by introducing these two names. For the purposes of an end user, they are the same thing. Both are AS3 at the core and, as the post above points out, the end point is the Flash stuff you see on the internet.
When it comes to Flash vs. Apple, this site is like watching Fox News for political information. Not even slightly true. The whole Flex API is open source. You can download it for free on Adobe's site and program with an open source environment like Eclipse. Frankly, I find it easier than Adobe's own options for creating Flash content. Flash flourished in the past because Javascript was designed by a committee of squabbling rivals and was inconsistant for both the...
Currently if a cell goes over the end of a page, Pages moves the entire cell to the next page. As far as I know there is no way of splitting the cell. If a single cell gets bigger than an entire page, you simply lose the text at the bottom. This pretty much rules out Pages for things like specifications or issue lists where you have tables of items where one cell in each row has a lot of text in.I meant section numbering. While it's possible to do it to a degree with...
Pages is much more pleasant to use for any task that it is capable of doing, which is most things for me. The main things Pages is missing is proper numbering and it needs to handle tables beter (e.g. cells that span pages). Other than that, I don't feel the need for Word. I'd be interested to hear what 'advanced' features of Word people miss so much. The feature gap is much bigger in Excel and some of the ways Numbers does things is not intuitive (the cutting and...
Ha! Hate to tell you but a government bailout is a Chinese takeover. China essentially owns most of the US - Americans owe China almost 900 billion dollars. China has been bailing out the US for years - you should be thanking them, not complaining.
Only if you believe random stumbling is an efficient way of seeking out what you want. Bottom line is the App store has terrible navigation, search etc. But nobody uses anything else because there is no effective alternative. We should celebrate Google's entry into the space. [On a side note and reading some of the ridiculously reactionary comments recently ... This board used to have some semblance of balance - really, believing Apple does great things shouldn't...
This is a much needed step to bring variety to the way users find iphone apps. Really, from a UI perspective, Apple should be ashamed of the App store. It has obscure navigation, poor search and extremely limited and often downright crap 'featured' selections. Granted, they're selling a lot of apps - but that is more due to the surprisingly small number of decent apps that are easy to find rather than the breadth they boast of in advertising. Most decent apps are...