or Connect

Posts by delany

Yes - would be more like rubbing salt in the wound than a cool new thing if they just add the slightly underwhelming ability to save images from the internet without the ability to save other files - essentially the same feature but far more useful.
Interesting point - Apple often gets caught up in a rather odd 'dimensions' game. I'd have thought that a Mac Mini that was cheaper/more powerful but slightly larger would be of more interest to most people - it's not intended to be portable and the 'Mini'-ness isn't really the hook - it is supposed to fill a space at the bottom of the Mac market. Similarly with the MacBook Air - which is intended to be portable - I would have thought, as a heavy user of portables that a...
The silly views about Flash expressed by many on this forum are quite a wake-up call for a Mac-enthusiast and Appleinsider lurker like myself - it becomes easier to see why so many find Mac enthusiasts so irritatingly smug. Latching on to what Steve J says and then deluding yourself that it's your own viewpoint by focusing on some limited bit of personal experience should not be mistaken for an informed discussion about technology. Please - for anyone actually...
DjacK - Amen to that!
Agreed all round. Though most of those complaints are about the usage of Flash, not the technology itself. It's a lot more powerful - so it can be misused more obviously. Not to say it can't be improved - but relative to Javascript it's a great technology IMO.Right - but I don't think the right word here is 'only'. If the dominant platform does not implement a standard properly, it's a failed standard. In terms of the future - who really holds out hope of MS making...
Did you look at those sites? They are not even remotely rebuildable using 'standard web languages'Why?The aim of an open standard is:- To allow standard access to the technology across platforms and users.- To make a technology easier for developers to implement.- To keep the technology at the cutting edge by encouraging open development.But if an open standard fails miserably where a closed technology succeeds, I see no reason to blindly throw support behind the...
Some people really need to understand that there are things outside their own experience of the web. Anyone who thinks that Flash is just about annoying ads and 'skip' intros these days needs to understand that the web is a big place and you have not seen anywhere near all of it. Some of the web's biggest sites are ENTIRELY flash based. Just off the top of my head: webkinz.com - 200th most popular site on the internet, 5 million people use it a month clubpenguin.com...
While this article makes some interesting points - there is obviously more to this than technical constraints. - There are certain applications that Steve/Apple, for whatever reason, have never really supported - games perhaps being the biggest of these - and these coincide rather neatly with the areas in which Flash is strong. Casual gaming on the web is simply a non starter without Flash. While I can see JobsÂ’ point when it comes to Mac computers, I think this is...
phasornc - I'm in exactly the same situation as you (except I have a work laptop pc for netflix). Combining services it is possible to access a decent - though not great - selection of tv and film. Plugging/unplugging in laptops to my tv is a pain as is searching through different services and delivery mechanisms to find what I want. It is perfectly obvious once you have experienced this way of doing things - even in its current crippled state - that on demand access...
Yes - lack of Flash is the only thing stopping me, too. It really isn't the 'real' internet without it, whatever the haters say. Sure there is a lot of dross written in Flash but there's a lot of dross written in javascript, too (and C, C++, C# etc) - but nothing in javascript that rivals the joys of the better Flash casual games or the better Flash interfaces, for instance. Plus I would say the natural tendancy of Flash to produce more dynamic content and interfaces is...