or Connect

Posts by chipz

The HDD is the way to go for backups.  CDs and DVDs do lose their info over time.  I have used them in the past to ave photos and thus far I've been lucky.  I have some photos I saved to CD over 11 years ago and they are still readable.  I don't know how much longer they will remain readable so I have transferred my photo files to a HDD.  I have also transferred some photo files to the Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs which are said to last over 100 years as compared to the 10...
I have used Open Office on my Mac for quite a long time (7+ years) and love it. It works fine under 10.7.x Lion and 10.8.x Mountain Lion. Another you might wish to try is Libre Office. It is practically the same as Open Office. The main difference is that Open Office is no longer being supported by its maker, so any updates or patches will be hard to find until someone in the group writes the needed updates. Libre Office is being supported actively and can be...
Both are good drives, but the W/D gets more nods than Seagate.  Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between name brand HDD.
I did misunderstand.  A good HDD is really easy to find as almost any of them on the market will do a good job for you.  The most important thing is to get one that is large enough to hold all your current and future files.  LaCie and Iomega make some really good one as does Toshiba.
The Apple drive is about $76.  You can also order a drive from Iomega and other dompanies.  These will generally be slightly cheaper and can also be run on other machines, whereas the Apple Drive is only for the MBA as far as I know.
I have a 2012 MBA 13", 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD and the performance is outstandingly fast.  The 2011 MBA is a slowpoke in comparison.  The new core i5 and i7 chips are of the Ivy Bridge variety, so they car run faster with less power.  The SSD has been upgraded to a faste variety and is now available up to 512 GB.  The RAM speed has been upped from 1333 to 1600 and the video card is now the Intel 4000 unit.  All in all, I think the 2012 is a great MBA, although the 2011 MBA...
I have the Apple unit and it works well.  From what I have read, almost any of the USB CD/DVD drives out there will work as well.  I enjoy having the CD/DVD drive because a lot of my programs were not downloadable and available only on DVDs.  Also, I save a lot of my photo files to CD, so I really appreciate the drive.  The Apple unit would be a good one for you.
I think the MBA is a better choice for your needs.  It is really powerful and fast.  The weight is, like, minimal.  I had a 13" MBP and the 4.5 pounds it weighed really started to feel heavy after awhile.  The MBA is only 2.9 pounds and can do everything the MBP does except play CDs and DVDs. I have the 2012 13" MBA with the core i5 processer, 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD and I am more than pleased with it.  The video card is now the Intel 4000 which is a little faster than...
I don't know if this is of any help in your case but I have been using a MBA with the 256 GB SSD since last July and haven't experienced any problems at all. The drive accepts files and stores and retrieves them just as a normal HDD would. I would imagine an SSD in a Mac Book Peo should do the same. I will admits, I was hesitant about getting a MBA because I didn't know anything about the SSD. It is very efficient and is fast. Hope this helps.
Unless you really need the extra power and bells and whistles that come with the 15" MacBook Prp, go for the 13" model. It has sufficient power ans resources to do almost anything you plan. Also, if you plan to carry your computer around a lot, the weight and size of the 15" can burden you down.I have a 15" MacBook Pro and I'm sorry now that I didn't go for the smaller machine. The heft and weight make carrying it around a chore.