or Connect

Posts by copeland

I now tried to match the Mini with the cheapest iMac. CPU in the Mini is 400MHz slower. Same HD capacity, same RAM size, Magic mouse, wireless keyboard. iMac has the 9400M. Without a monitor the Mini is already € 150,- more expensive than the iMac missing 400MHz in CPU speed and a Monitor. If Apple wants me to buy the iMac why don't they just EOL the Mini? At the moment I just can't see where Apple wants to go with the Mini???
I just hope that the others don't copy too much from Apple on that front. I believe that the unibody approach made the products better for mobile use. But from an environmental point of view I don't believe Apple's arguments. When you think about how much Aluminum has to be produced and recycled because of the milling process and you take into account that China is producing most of its energy by firing coal I don't believe that this argument can hold its ground. Next they...
To be honest I don't know if the MBP did go up during the last update, but I think it didn't. The MBP did receive a similar update if not better and didn't go up in price, so my question is where is the difference in those two products from a technical point of view that the Mini had to raise by 16%. I know that the others don't really have better offers in that form factor. The question the whole discussion hinges on is: Is it necessary to make a desktop that small? And...
The cube comes to memory. Excellently crafted pice of hardware. Setting new standards in designing desktops and shrinking them to a nice size - but at the cost of affordability. To my mind the cube failed because of it's price. I know Apple is selling it's products by quality and design, but I think the Mini could be in danger to get priced outside of a sensible price range. And a 16% price raise to update some of the internals to state of the art seems a bit high.
If it accepts my D-Link NAS that works as a ITunes server too and I can plug in a real network cable - have 1Gb network in my house - I'm sold. Waited for this device for 2 years.
You can be sure that Apple will clock it at 799MHz so it does not meet the needed specifications. Could also be for battery life!
The mini was updated in spring 09. As Apple let the mini sit for 3 years the last time (and the relevant hardware that was built into the mini was even 1-2 years older) I wouldn't expect a too soon upgrade. But we are talking about Apple, so you never know. I think the mini will follow the plastic MacBook. Apple just managed to differentiate the MacBook from the MacBookPro, so I don't think they will upgrade the MacBook (Mini) to the same hardware as the MacBookPro....
Yeah, ARM is the way to go for the AppleTV. I am waiting for years that Apple offers a low power AppleTV. The infrastructure built up for the iPhone and iPad are a tight fit for the next gen AppleTV. As hmurchison said it is about time to rebrand this product. Content doesn't embrace AppleTV, so why bother with them. Open the flood gates for the most common video codecs and let people watch whatever they want. Make the hardware powerful enough to surpass the Wii...
Regularly after passing the border after 10-20km you have to sign in to one of the local providers. But EC has made a regulation that any active call within the EC is not allowed to cost more than € 0.58, any passive call € 0.29 (0.28?). Roaming with data costs ~ € 100 for 200MB pre paid. Valid for Austria.Orange offers a package for € 49/month with 300min free voice within Europe, 1,000 min free voice in Austria (minutes are just accounted when you call someone), 1,000...
Second that. They really have to work on energy efficiency for the ATV. But looking at the iPad Apple could pull it in near future.